Your favorite 12" subs ???

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Fish Chris, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Fish Chris

Fish Chris Full Member

Okay.....

So I'm just about sold. Might have to sleep on it :)

Hey ccc, you said
    Really ? I think if it were me, and my ears were already hurting from the bass, I go the other direction on my tuning, to a lower, less audible bass peak.... and also probably lower my bass frequency cuttoff. This way I could still push the subs to their limits, but with not quite the apparent loudness....
    No doubt about it though, if you build a bigger box, with a higher frequency peak, it is going to be even louder yet ! But if your ears are already splitting... I dunno'.

I might just have to order a couple of these speakers really soon, for $50 each, while they still have some of them.....

Peace,
    Fish

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

quote taken from Ranger and azn:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aznboi3644 View Post

Mine played 30hz pretty well for being tuned high. My old box that ranger designed with the single 15 was tuned to 40hz and still played down into the 30s pretty well...Hmm..weird.

anyways 2 cubes at 35Hz should dig down pretty deep still.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RANGER SVO View Post

You lose relative gain by tuning lower. I other words, its not as loud. Tuning lower does NOT make it play lower. If you wanna get lower, make the box bigger.

Most competition boxes are tuned to 55Hz or more. In competition volume is everything. The highest I recommend for a daily driver is around 45Hz.

Azn, 40 hz was chosen for your box in order to take advantage of the length of you truck.

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Right now I have nothing cuz I had to take the sub out to load up a bunch of bricks and motar for a job.

But I use my 12W6 in the t-line.

The 16Ov.2's weight online is the SHIPPED weight...they mail it in a wooden crate.

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I just want to have that kind of loudness on tap, I won't listen to it that loud when i'm driving. I already have a small problem with my left ear, when I put the volume up and the bass starts to hit hard my ear starts to hurt.

I usually keep my volume pretty low when i'm driving. sometimes 5 minutes here and there I'll really pump the volume up.

5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I thought you got rid of that w6. I remember you talking about that t-line. You must be pretty happy with that kind of bass. I remember the vids.

azn, what do you think of 4.8 cubes tuned to 40hz. sound good to you?

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I tried to sell it...never happened though lol.

4.8 cubes at 40Hz should slam good and hard.

7. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

good, i hope it's a lot better than my box now. I'm not really liking the one i have now.

Look at it this way, at least you have some bass now when you want it. imagine if you sold it you wouldn't have anything now. lol

did you ever recone the 19Ov.2?

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

not yet...once I have the money and once they get the parts back in stock i'll recone it

9. Fish Chris

Fish Chris Full Member

Well....

Just MPO, but while I think "loud bass" is great, I lean a little more towards "low bass" which although it doesn't sound as loud to the human ear, because it's getting closer to the lower frequency limits of our hearing, it still can be just as loud on a DB meter..... and you still "feel it" just as much :)

Another thing along these lines; If I have a stereo with subs capable of drowning out my mids and highs, rather than turning down the gain on the subwoofer (who in the world would want to do that ? ;-) I can just ask the subs to put out "lower bass" which doesn't cover the rest of my music so much, but the subs are still working to their fullest potential.

Peace,
    Fish

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

If the sub-bass is drowning out your highs...only thing it means is that you have weak mids and highs and you need to upgrade.

how low the bass goes is more dependent on the enclosure and not the woofer

11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

yup, i got my 5 ch from them for 350. too bad they sold out before you joined or i would deff recomend it.

100 x4 @ 4ohms 12.5v

sub
    250 x1 4 ohm
    450 x1 2 ohm
    600 x1 1 ohm all specs at 12.5v. my L7 kicker just ****ing slams now.

check out my gallery pics. i just updated them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  12. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Pedro give us vids man!

13. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i'll see what i can do for ya