What Amp should I look for for these subs?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by ajfootball61, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

well if i get a one channel amp how would i go about running two subs?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

are they single voice coil subs or dual?

3. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

I believe they are single. and another question. they have two different kinds one with 2 ohm x 2 and one with 4 ohm x 2. whats the difference? which is better?

4. pedro quiroga

http://www.bcae1.com/

your gonna have to do a lil reading. those subs are the same size but different in impedance. meaning one will receive more power and the other will get less if wired together. so its going to have to be one or the other.

now thats a tuff choice. you have a few different choices for ohm loads. but you'll have to choose one sub.

5. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

so wouldnt you go with 2 ohm x 2 for them to get equal power? this is complicated, it going to take a while to learn.

6. pedro quiroga

once you learn impedances its all cake after that.

with a d2 ohm sub you have 2 options 1 ohm and 4 ohm.

with the d4 ohm sub your choices are 2 ohm and 8 ohm.

now once you know what the load is you can choose your amp or if you have an amp then you can choose which sub will work for your application.

say your amp is stable into a 4 ohm mono load. then you'll choose the D2 sub and wire it for 4 ohms. and so forth and so on for the other sub.

7. pedro quiroga

you'll get equal power using either one. each coil will share the load. wether its the d4 or d2.

8. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

is there any difference in sound quality or loudness?

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

most D class mono (1 channel) amps still come with 2 sets of terminals... you can either wire the subs together in the box then from the box have one set coming out then to the amp or both sets from the box to the amp.

What kind of subs do you have? are they dual voice coil (DVC) or single voice coil (SVC). 4ohm or 2ohm?

10. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

they are DVC, i haven't bought them yet but they have both 2 ohm and 4 ohm.

11. pedro quiroga

oh i thought you had 1 of each all ready.

12. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

o ha ha no. I dont think I would buy two different kinds.

13. pedro quiroga

lol ok. before you get the subs you'll need to know what kind of load the amp you get will handle. i.e 1 ohm mono, 2 ohm mono, or 4 ohm mono.

i helped install a system in my friends 2000 silverado so i know what fits and what kind of room you'll have.

do you want to replace the rear speakers too? cause i think the rear seat has to come out to take out the drivers side rear. its a pain to do too.lol.

the 3rd door passenger speaker wasnt too bad. the front doors are a breeze. as is the head unit.

14. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

yes I have to replace everything.

I think the speakers blew once and they went to walmart and put in new door speakers and those sound horrible.

But yeah all door speakers and head unit need to be replaced as well as installing the subs, amp and I also want to put some tweets in there as well.

15. pedro quiroga

you can buy some coaxials and keep it simple. that way you dont have to cut holes for tweets.

16. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

yeah i will look into those

never heard of them but i was afraid of cutting those holes

17. Jomama

Jomama New Member

I like the p3's for sq but I don't usually recommend them because the foam surround gets torn up easily and the laminate on the cone peels. I've had them on Kenwood 9104's before though and been satisfied.

18. pedro quiroga

a coaxial is a speaker with the woofer and tweeter in the same cone. nt a brand of speaker.

19. ajfootball61

ajfootball61 Full Member

what do you mean by foam surround?

20. pedro quiroga

thats the outer most part of the speaker. foam just doesnt last as long as rubber surrounds.