Sub Boxes

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by PolkMM, Dec 14, 2003.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I believe I read somewhere that resonance in solid woods makes it less than desireable. That is why we see veneer used in HT cabinets ;) .

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yep, exactly...
    With any hardwoods... the "hard" part, by nature.
    Same goes for fiberglass, and steel... anything potentially reflective.
    I believe this is the same thing as saying that these hardwoods don't have the same damping properties of the softer MDF (or particle board).

But another thing to consider..
    Particularly since you mention the HT guys..
    Is that with subwoofers, these internal reflections aren't as big of a deal, damping isnt' as much of a concern, as full-range cabinets.
    The wavelengths alone make it difficult (some actually say impossible!), as the wavelengths well exceed the length of the subwoofer cabinet... and maybe more importantly, the cycles are simultaniously slower at these lower frequencies.

Couple that with "yes, damping properties aren't as good as MDF, but they aren't bad either", and I don't think it's a poor choice.
    Particularly if you foam the walls and/or stuff it. ;)

3. MaddoxBay

MaddoxBay Full Member

I wasn’t necessarily going to make a hardwood enclosure, I was just wondering if it was a suitable material.

Although I do have some mahogany, red oak, white oak, ash, and walnut laying around…