Split... Stevens speaker design

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Ok now, here's a picture of my idea as it sits right now.
    [​IMG]

Now the top of the resonator is cut off from air flow. It is now coming out the bottom, and the speaker is controling the end of the resonator. My dad came up with the idea to put it on top, which eliminates some problems.

He mentioned another problem. As the fan spins, it cuts through the air. This will change the pressure slightly on the front side of the resonator. So that will have to be dealt with. I figured I could put the fan blowing up, which should help.

2. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Interesting question. My hope is that it would amplify the sound. I suppose without the fan it would be similar to a free-air driver. It would make sound, but the top of the resonator would cancel out the sound coming from the bottom of the resonator. Not so much on higher frequencies, but a great deal on lower ones. I think the fan will amplify the bottom one. Maybe to make it even more efficient, I would need to add the equivilant of a surround to the edge of the resonator, sealing off the top edge completely from the bottom edge. That could be tricky. But I had an idea for a surround for regular speakers, that may work well here. Basically it would look like an accordion.

3. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

I had posted a picture, but part of our server is down right now.
    Have no fear, it'll be up again, and as soon as it is, you'll be able to see the picture.

It's actually two chambers, one positive pressure, one negative pressure... and essentially two valves, two flaps, one valve opening for the positive half of the wave (and progressively opening, proportional to how far above the '0' line on the sine wave graph you are), the other valve opening for the negative half of the wave (also progressively opening, mimicking the waveform).

Hopefully our server will be back up soon, anyway. :blush: [/b][/quote]
    geo
    my comment was regarding Stephen's design...
    instead of a wing, use a flap... but then that would
    be akin to yours... lol

and ya, i see how your high pressure, low pressure
    sides work