rice that I would drive

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by bigsexxxy69, Mar 13, 2002.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Geo my 94 T-brid is RWD with indepentant Rear Susoension,

2. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

hmmm, let us see... Ford Pinto, Ford Mustang and Mustang II, Chevy Vega, Chevy Monza, Buick Riviera, Oldsmobile Toronado, Cadillac (all past 65...), Ford Fairmont... haha, Geo, you really narrowed down the choices...:D

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

No, THAT'S bs...

Besides statistics showing you wrong...

I have lots of experience with Hondas...

after my mother traded in her Pinto for fear of a rear-end-explosion (with very young children), for a Ford Fairmont wagon...
    And getting our MONEY BACK under the LEMON LAW because the car had sooooo much wrong with it... (actually got our money back!)

..they decided to follow my grandfather's advice (a consumer reports subscriber) and bought a 1983 Civic wagon... (our family's only car, bear in mind)
    My father nicknamed that car "supercar".. we drove it across the country several times, racked up something near 120,000 miles on it before selling it to some biker in 1987.... and never had a SINGLE problem with it...

So we bought a 1987 Civic wagon... again, lots of vacation travel (I had been in every state but Hawaii, every province in Canada before my first flight on an airplane a few years back), our family's only car (although my dad thought it was pretty gutless compared to the previous car)...
    I ended up buying the car off my mother when I was about 18...
    None of us EVER had a single problem with that car...

I traded it in in the fall of 1995, when I bought my 1995 Civic...
    Which I set up for Autocross racing, and beat the absolute snot out of (ask Luvdabass and networkguy, I took them for a ride once! :D), and I again have NEVER had a single problem with the car despite that (well, except for a 2nd gear syncro, and trust me when I say that is 101% my fault! :p)...

My father also (same week even) bought a 1995 Civic, and had NO problems with it ever, trading up in 1997 for a 4 door version, new body style, and again.. NO problems with it, trading up again in 2000 for one of the first current-gen Civics around here, and again he hasn't had any problems (although he said he actually noticed this car drives different - no surprise, strut suspension now :()...

On the other hand, I helped my mom pick out a Dodge Neon in 1995.. thought I was helping her, Dodge had new technology, and a seemingly winning car (1994 SCCA solo II champion car! - even an ACR version available)...
    Well, the payback for this decision was...
    Same money as a Civic..
    However her head gasket died at 38,000 miles - dealer wouldnt' help her, cost her something like $1,800 to get it fixed.
    Her exhaust system literally fell off of the car, about 60,000 miles.
    The car's alignment goes out literally every year...
    Now, her car actually is rusting through, especially the nose of the hood (despite the salesmen actually conning her into some "rust prevention package", which was a few hundred dollars, included some blinky-light underhood "rust prevention" gizmo and a bottle of car wax...
    AND all this time she has had to live with a plasticky interior that just felt inferior...

Personally, I feel bad for her...

Like I said, any statistics, car magazine, consumer reports, repair statistics that you care to reference will show Hondas (and even more so - Toyotas, for several years now) to be WELL superior in quality, reliability, longetivity to ANY American car...
    Even Saturn, whose small cars (NOT large cars) have been the most reliable of all American cars.. ;)

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Geo are you calling me a Lier?

I certinaly hop not

and Consumer reports=biased

Just as all mags are

Honda=RICE

5. stacy532

stacy532 Full Member

92gt ?:wtf:
    I have had 7 stangs and never had much trouble from any! Altenators clutches & a need for speed!
    cars ive had
    79 capri
    84 capri
    85 capri
    84 gt
    91 gt
    *94 cobra
    *97 gt
    * still have!

6. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

I am not making this up... threw a rod, the block had to be replaced (1 month to change at the dealer) plus numerous electrical problems (burning out switches and really nasty relay that would cause my car to stall while driving and discharge my battery at the same time). I am not making this up, this is the last time I have had a Ford... All of the problems within first 10 months of ownership...