Questions for Dan about the revolution 1500...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Slump_Da_Hustla, Aug 11, 2002.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Porting high for controll is my feeling.

2. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

IBs or sealed will work; you just get output down to the 80 Hz range, rather than the 60 Hz range. The Fs is aroun 38 Hz, and the Qts is around 0.29; Vas is 20 liters.

We're only going to do a 6.5" component set, at least for the forseeable future. And it's a big 6.5" woofer - 3" of mounting depth, and the magnet is 4.5" in diameter. Not a wimpy little motor...;)

How do you design a good tweeter? Same way you do a woofer. Design a linear motor and suspension, and make sure the cone/dome/diaphragm doesn't break up in the passband. Lots of FEA work comes in handy here, but some experience with materials and geometries helps, too. It's all down to basic physics - radiation patterns of complex shapes, internal velocities of materials, and mechanical impedance matching of the dome to the surround.

We really worked to get the off-axis right. Most car components are installed in doors, with the drivers 30-50 degrees off axis. So we targeted as flat a response as possible in that position. Tweeter was mounted 2" from the woofer (forward and up), and we did the magic. The woofer was tweaked to offer superior off axis response with a semi-exponential cone (two layer poly cone, with an inverted rubber surround to keep it nice and flat).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they have turned out so far; the feedback I've gotten from my beta testers is quite positive, too, especially on the woofer.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Sadly, size (both diameter and depth) keep me out of the running for this offering. I have been pleased with everything about Adire. From the product offering, prices and performances, to the customer service. Dan, i must say you are the best bigwig I know ;) . I truely wish I could give these a shot, but sadly they do not fit my application at all.

Geo, I have a great link at home about tweeters, I'll shoot it to you this weekend.

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Personally, I agree with the choice to go with the 6.5's only... if only one size were to be made...

Obviously (like in your case, Sandt) everyone can't or won't run 6.5's in their car...

But in my opinion, it is the most ideal size...
    I think it is generally the best trade off of midrange capability and clarity, while having enough cone to move enough air to make some serious midbass happen...

Sandt..
    I thought you were running custom door builds?
    Is that how the door came stock, with those rectangular raised sections?
    :confused:

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

they have raised pods right there, factory, for a 5.25 set. I made what is in there now, and I could fit a 6.5 in there, with a bit of creativity, but the profile is too high on the driver (3 inches!!!). The reason I am looking at the AD comps is their low profile. I am perfectly happy with the US set, however, I am trying to clean up the overall install. I really want to fit the stock cover back. (the cover allows for about 2 inches of speaker in there, actually less as excursion needs to be considered. The Cadence are 2.25) The ADs will provide that, but the Adires are too deep. Well, hopefully the ADs will be everything they're supposed to be.