On Going Review Of The 860

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Fused, May 3, 2004.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Texcon,

2 thoughts on the gains. First is a typical clip setting is over 2:1 in the car. What that equates to is with a 6.5 output voltage, the gains are set to recieve a 3.25. I might suggest that if you prefer the 860 over the 8600, it will be perfectly OK, and you may even find yourself bumping the gains up a tad from the 4 volt limit ;)

Also, it is my understanding they measure the 860 and 8600 differantly. I can understand and believe this as it simply offers the consumer 1 more reason to choose the more expensive unit :blink: .

Just a thought or 2 for you to mull over ;)

2. Fused

Fused Full Member

CDA-7897

3. texcon

texcon Full Member

Thanks Seth, that was very helpful. Well, I checked my email and despite the competitor I used not being an authorized Pioneer dealer, SD still did a 105% price match, so I could get the 8600 for $332 plus S&H. That comes to under $350 from an authorized online dealer - that is about the best I can find for an authorized 8600.

About the 860 vs 8600, the main things I see different are that the 860 has a Pro Mode where you can go active. I simply can't see myself using this option and if I do, then I'd be really surprised. The 6.5 volt pre-outs are the other main thing, which is not enough of a selling point for me. Obviously 4 volt pre-outs are more than enough. The 2 year warranty is the last big thing. Seeing I won't be using the internal amp on my HU, I doubt the 2 year warranty would be all that necessary (knock on wood).

So I have 2 weeks to act on the SD offer.

4. texcon

texcon Full Member

See, this is interesting. The 9813 isn't any better of a HU than ther 7897 and perhaps an inferior one and hearing you say the SQ of the 860 is much better speaks volumes to me.