New Components From Adire?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by delvryboy, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

I believe that pretty much sums it up, or maybe they did take a bit to it but did not counter sink (if thats the right term) the screw through the surround, and maybe the head of the screw after beign screwed and unscrewed cased the surround to come up.

Perhpas Dan or Seth can provide some more info on this top....

2. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

from what i understand...when screwing thru the surround...if tightened to tight the screw head would 'grab' and put some stress on the surround...in this case it would either tear instantly or put enough twist on it to cause a premature failure

a good remedy are the 'rings' that were designed by a caraudio.com member

another good remedy is to drill a slightly oversized hole and use a small washer

the surround on my HC came the same way....click my w-w-w if you are interesed in pics

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

That may be chris. My assumption is that the units were most likely overtightened though. I screwed directly into mine (after gutting the hole, as per the instructions) with no issues, and removed them with no issues. Now, when I reinstalled them I used some grilles, so direct contact between the screw head and the surround was eliminated.

As Dman said, washers could comletely eliminate any concerns as well, for those of you feint of heart ;).

Aside from speculation I have no ideas as to why they failed. I think Dan would be better equipt to answer the question, as he had direct contact with the failed units. I would hate to misrepresent the situation, which is why I chose to mention my failure rate of nil thus far ;).

4. trifle

trifle Full Member

yeah i remember the guy who made the washers...

to me it sounds like people just screwed right through the surround without pre-gutting the hole....either that or they used the wrong type of screw head....it's very simple to see how a turning screw could catch on that type of material...there will be lots of friction and it will pull and eventually give way....

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yes, rubber is a stretchy grippy thing.

I had exactly the same thing happen with my old RF components. You twist a screwhead down onto rubber... it's going to grip it and twist right along with it.

I definitely am on the side of "just use a washer with your screw" when you screw it down. Washer comes down on the rubber, grippy rubber holds it without moving, screw can twist and tighten without disturbing the glued-on surround. B)

BTW, that was "just use a washer when you screw"...
    not "just use a rubber when you screw"... although I'd advocate that also.
    Screws, Metal washers, rubber surrounds, rubbers... different things. ;)

6. trifle

trifle Full Member

hahahaha, to some people car audio does = sex though :rolleyes:

7. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

hahahaha, to some people car audio does = sex though :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    <sigh>
    right now, i'm gettin more of one than the other... guess which? :(

and its not much either....

lol

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

hahahaha, to some people car audio does = sex though :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    1700 watts, brahma, free-air, vasoline, and a 20Hz test tone ;). Try it if you're man enough :lmfao:

9. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Dunno about how it is for you... but the pole vent isn't big enough for me....
    :D :lol:

:blink: ouch

10. trifle

trifle Full Member

1700 watts, brahma, free-air, vasoline, and a 20Hz test tone ;). Try it if you're man enough :lmfao: [/b][/quote]
    Next time I'm down in NC I'll be sure to give your Brahma a break-in :lmfao:

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

LOL!!! Me either, but that is why I reccomend vasoline. The motor force... Well, it'll work ;)

12. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

LOL!!! Me either, but that is why I reccomend vasoline. The motor force... Well, it'll work ;) [/b][/quote]
    i now see where your love for Adire comes from :love:

13. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

With the reverse surround of the Koda mid, would you say it was an inny? Or would you go by the dustcap and call it an outy?