Johan Sirhan... I am calling you out!!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Aug 17, 2003.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

LOL Bitch!!!

Drive by the shop and don't stop by... I see how it is :angry: .

Shame on you, pushing E-scam <_< (where's Mike when you need him?) From Mike (backed with a warranty) the 740 is only $250 ;) . Veriable Cross... Who cares, that is what the amps are for. 2 more bands? Who cares, Mine is all set flat anyways.

Yeah, MP3 is slower, but I don't ever use it anymore, so I honestly don't think about it.

Johan, first, can you tell Flawless, BlkX and I all know each other personally?

Next... Smooth bass is more of a feeling then a presance. Punchy bass really has a dramatic impact, like a slap. Smooth bass is more of a blending feeling. As far as accuracy and quickness... I will disagree with Chris on that, but I will expain and show why...

Here...

I didn't want to rob Johan of this input, and i felt this was off topic, so I will put it elsewhere for you all to comment upon as you see fit.

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Blah, flawlesskid? who's that?? :unsure:

I actually agree with your description of smooth bass...only point i disagree with is the blending part, i think a punchy sub can blend as well as a smooth sub given the right tuning.

3. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

HAHA! You're talkin to a busy man here. Schools back in, and usually when im on that side of town, im at the ol ladies (she lives where i used to live now). I'm gonna stop by at some point though.

Oh, and who cares? Maybe somebody does. I care, and maybe johan cares, so :p hehe. Oh, by the way, try going all active from the HU with that pioneer. Im talkin variable HPF, BPF and LPF. Now, you might not want it, but you cant sit here and tell me that aint pretty damn kick ass paired with DTC and pure unadulterated alpine quality... haha :lmfao:

We gotta get this sub idea going though. What are you looking to get out of your sub johan? Im talkin as far as output goes.

4. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

IMO, if you take an Alpine HU and a Pioneer HU, with identical features, the Pioneer is 10x easier to use. The user interface allows an idiot to access all the features with ease and understanding. Also, and it's just opinion, Alpine is too ricey for that ride! Alpine is for Civics...Pioneer for more "classy" rides ;)

Being one of the only ED users on CAT (Krelky and 'monkey), I have to recommend some 10O's if you want to go IB. They're cheaper than the IDMAX, though it might not sound as good (haven't heard the new IDMAX's...v3's). They will sound great, though. Regardless of which of these subs you might pick, an IB install will always look cool...especially the IDMAX and it's freakin' awesome basket! Amps...kind of hard to have a beef with Cadence, except for their availability. In the 2 yrs. I've lurked or been registered at various car audio forums, I've yet to hear a single negative remark about the performance of any of their amps (the looks, on the other hand...:D). Lanzar Opti amps are nice, but I believe I heard they are a tad current hungry. They are also absolutely humongous (makes Kicker amps look like Memphis amps). Pheonix Gold's Tantrum line is outstanding, also. I got a great deal locally, so I'm sure Seth/Michael can hook you up nice. Comps...Alpine Type X can be had for relatively cheap (~$250ish for the 2 way set), as can the XR's, and I believe the Zeb has a great deal on some CDT's. As we all know, if you want SQ, pay close attention to the front stage, as it produces all but the bottom 2 octaves.

$.02...probably less...
    :)

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I agree Luv, you are the King!!!

I also agree with the infinate baffel. My suggestion on the Max in IB was for a few reasons... It has proven very successful in these applications, Looks cool as hell, the fact that it will be directly in the passenger compartment will allow for a greater output, and less power is required to get that SOB humping full force (less power required means less money required ;) ). Plus in an IB situation, I feel we will have very nice low end, and still should maintain a comfortable level of "smooth" to go with it...

As Far as comps, I think there is a general consensus of the XR comps being a great set... Where is Geo? He will eat this up :lmfao: . But of course, I am going to have to throw the Kodas in there as an alternative. I have yet to hear a set that impresses me this much, at any cost.

I haven't heard the Type X sets in a car, but the CDTs I felt were a bit bright for my tastes.

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

if pioneer would fix the MP3 Problem I would buy them, but I have no use for them without that

it is a waste of a perfectly good disc only to have 18 songs on it :lol:

7. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

It's all in which deck you're more familiar with. The Alpine is pretty simple once you figure out a few key buttons. Same goes for the Pioneer.

8. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Just tell me why the 740 is a better deck, and i'll throw in my cards. Oh, and unless my eyes decieve me, mike has that 740 for $250 refurbished, so i wouldnt say its a much better deal price wise than the 9813. We're talkin features for the dollar. Of course a deck with less useful features will be cheaper.. If the features the alpine offers that the pioneer doesn't offer aren't useful to you, then the pioneer aint a bad choice. The pioneer looks better, though i disagree about the "ricey" issue as they are all pretty ricey in some way, the pioneers ricey screensavers come to mind and the alpines bright keys. Nakamichi, now thats a classy head unit buddy... Nothing ricey about that. Nak cd45z, love that deck.. But the features just aren't there. 740 has fair features, and fair pricetag to match. If 250 is the set budget on the deck, another deck to look into is the JVC KD-sh707. Seems to be a pretty nice deck, and it has the fastest mp3 playback of the bunch.

A sub to look into would definately be the Stereo Integrity Magnum d2.

here's a link to a pretty indepth review..
    http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread...0364#post270364

Seems it will perform well with anything at or above 500 watts.

And i still stand by the JL XR's as the Koda's while having stellar midbass are too laid back for my taste in the midrange and upper frequencies.. XR's are closer to my taste. The tweets aren't as hard to work with as my Prefered MB Quarts.

9. JohanSirhan

JohanSirhan Full Member

MP3's are not a concern for me. The digital imaging makes my ears bleed. So playability is a non issue in my opinion

10. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Just tell me why the 740 is a better deck, and i'll throw in my cards. Oh, and unless my eyes decieve me, mike has that 740 for $250 refurbished, so i wouldnt say its a much better deal price wise than the 9813. We're talkin features for the dollar. Of course a deck with less useful features will be cheaper.. If the features the alpine offers that the pioneer doesn't offer aren't useful to you, then the pioneer aint a bad choice. The pioneer looks better, though i disagree about the "ricey" issue as they are all pretty ricey in some way, the pioneers ricey screensavers come to mind and the alpines bright keys. Nakamichi, now thats a classy head unit buddy... Nothing ricey about that. Nak cd45z, love that deck.. But the features just aren't there. 740 has fair features, and fair pricetag to match. If 250 is the set budget on the deck, another deck to look into is the JVC KD-sh707. Seems to be a pretty nice deck, and it has the fastest mp3 playback of the bunch.

And i still stand by the JL XR's as the Koda's while having stellar midbass are too laid back for my taste in the midrange and upper frequencies.. XR's are closer to my taste. The tweets aren't as hard to work with as my Prefered MB Quarts. [/b][/quote]
    Why so harsh :angry: Like you, I was merely giving my opinion. Surely you aren't going to jump on my back because I have a different opinion.

I installed my dad's Alpine and played with for a bit. I have a Pioneer HU. I simply think Pioneer is easier to use, that's all. The silvery/bright blue buttons look nice in a compact import...kind of tacky, imo in a Caddy. I definitely agree with the Nak pick, though. They seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth, so I didn't mention them.

:)

11. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

anything recoded on a CD is Digital, that is the ONLY data that can be stored on a Disc

the Definition of "Digital Data" is data made up of "1"'s and "0"'s

a CD normal CD does this by "indenting" area of the disc to reflect the laser away from the "eye" or reflecting it "in to" the eye, creating a Array of "1",s and "0"s

CDR do this by a Different method, by "opaquing" a die layer in the disc, so the light is not reflected in some areas

****** Usless information Alert ***********

The data track on a Normal CD streached 3.5 MILES :lol:

****** end usless information *********

as far as MP3 Goes, I would be Hard Pressed for you to hear the Differance in a MP3 and a WAV or CDA formated Song, given that YOU encoded the song ourself form the same File you will use for a blind test, and a sample rate is the same for BOTH files

12. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Why so harsh :angry: Like you, I was merely giving my opinion. Surely you aren't going to jump on my back because I have a different opinion.

I installed my dad's Alpine and played with for a bit. I have a Pioneer HU. I simply think Pioneer is easier to use, that's all. The silvery/bright blue buttons look nice in a compact import...kind of tacky, imo in a Caddy. I definitely agree with the Nak pick, though. They seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth, so I didn't mention them.

:) [/b][/quote]
    Sorry if i came off strong man, most is opinion based, but im merely asking for some hard facts that make the pioneer better, ie., better specs, or features with price considered. I wont try to write out your opinion, just tryin to throw out judging by opinions and go more into something non subjective. Most of whats been said in defense of the 740mp is all opinion based. No hard feelings i hope.. :love:

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

And i still stand by the JL XR's as the Koda's while having stellar midbass are too laid back for my taste in the midrange and upper frequencies.. XR's are closer to my taste. The tweets aren't as hard to work with as my Prefered MB Quarts. [/b][/quote]
    Touchy aren't we Cort?

SEFQ and Q-factoring make it better IMHO. I am able to manipulate how the 3 band EQ affects the sound so much, it is like having a 7 band.

As far as the Kodas... You need to remember Cort, you heard them in my car, set up to my tastes. With me, you are not dealing with an ameture installer. My tweeter location, and total off axis install, and surface redirection were implimented to smooth out the highs and midrange. As you know, this old fart needs a more mellow sound... These old ears can't handle a bright sound. In most installs where the tweet is higher and more direct, the result will be totally differant. Some day when you come down to the shop or out to the house for a few drinks or something, we can do some experimenting. Simply opening the doors some to point the tweets more at the driver will amaze you at the differance in sound. On axis, or closer to on axis anyways, these are alot brighter then you may think.

14. Krelkor

Krelkor Full Member

indeed
    the kodas need to be off axis, especially the tweeter

15. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Not at all old man. SFEQ isn't a bad feature.. Don't see how it makes it better, but thats all opinion there. I'd like to hear the koda's in a diff setup, your setup is quite girly lately! :lmfao: Get some umphh! in your setup man! All that horsepower, and all that wattage, and you're playing soft. I'm waiting for the day i hear you listening to Bach.. :no:

Oh, and BTW, i'll definately be at the shop the first week in Sept. to give you a demo of a REAL HU!

16. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Noted... Remember the girly comment when you stop at the shop next time ;) .

You have heard the Brahma when it was angry... I'll let it loose again ;)

Oh yeah, girly? Aren't you the guy getting antsy about SQ competition? You'll be asking me to borrow some Bach soon, I am sure :lol:

17. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Yes! Let that sumbitch LOOSE! I liked it then.. ;)

I like the beefy bull, not that lil sissy you've been riding around with.. <_<

18. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Hey, let's leave Bach out of this. I've been known to mess around with some classical music :).

19. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

I have to be honest... From time to time, i throw in my CD's from my music appreciation class.. Its loaded with classical, baroque, renaissance, you name it... Bach, Bethoven, Talk about perfect music to demonstrate the dynamic abilities of your setup... Listening to a Bethoven symphony where Peaks come in at 6 db louder than anything else in the piece almost blows you out of the car! Whoa, am i really getting excited about Bethoven? :oops:

20. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I have to be honest... From time to time, i throw in my CD's from my music appreciation class.. Its loaded with classical, baroque, renaissance, you name it... Bach, Bethoven, Talk about perfect music to demonstrate the dynamic abilities of your setup... Listening to a Bethoven symphony where Peaks come in at 6 db louder than anything else in the piece almost blows you out of the car! Whoa, am i really getting excited about Bethoven? :oops: [/b][/quote]
    Hypocrite. :D