Huge Milestone For The Nat... 200k Miles

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Oct 17, 2003.

1. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Or you could just do one of...
    These!
    What's $165,000 for a Corvette, when you can do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, and pull higher than 1g on the skidpad? :lmfao:

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

whne I win the 90million lottoery tommorow I will buy one, hell I buy 3 lol

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

That is a misprint... 0-60 in 5.1 for the Nats...

A quick comparison of the quarter mile times and trap speeds will verify that ;)

I'm at 4.2 ;).

Corvettes? Only the Z06 is quicker... but they aren't quicker than me. I eat Vipers.

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Here is the 2 tone Grand National

[​IMG]

Also, it should be Duly noted that not all GNs were turbo charged. In fact, 1 was a front wheel drive, natrually asperated car *gasp*

(waits to get peoples anticipation to the extreem before he will expound on the comment)

5. spyder3634

spyder3634 Full Member

well i dont know anything about older cars like the GN's and stuff mostly b/c i was born in 1985..... :D

but my 93 eclipse has 255k on it :jawdrop:

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Drive Much????

my 94 Tbird just turned 110K

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

OK, I was intrigued enough to try searching Google for any coupling of "Grand National" and "two wheel drive", but no luck...

I've never heard of even a big variation in attributes or trim of GN's over the few years they were produced, much less major differences like what you state!

Elaborate!

:ph34r:

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

The Buick LeSabre Grand National Here is an exerpt from the page...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Special interior treatments.
    Rear, side windows covered with louvers. Window opening much smaller. (Compare production car to race car.)
    Hood Ornament is same as 87-89 LeSabre T TYPE.
    Sometimes confused with 1986 Century Gran Sport (not Grand Sport). The '86 GS was a similar appearing all black car based on the FWD Century.
    Conversions performed a Lloyd Buick in Daytona, FL.*

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

To help you understand the differance between the turbocharged Regal GN badge and the non-turbo badge, here is mine...

[​IMG]

You will notice the "turbo6" badge has an orange stripe as well as red, unlike the LGN 6 badge...

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Interesting...
    And also interesting to note the also-non-turbo Century Gran Sport that used the same logo, with "Gran Sport" rather than "Grand National" on the badge.

What's funny is, if I saw that LeSabre somewhere, casually walking by it in a parking lot somewhere, or even if I saw it at a car show, I probably would have laughed, thinking "man, that guy stuck Grand National badges on his Buick Grandpa car... what a loser!" - especially if at a car show, and the open hood clearly revealed a pretty boring non-turbo motor.

About the logo itself...
    I always figured that the logo was inspired by the turbocharger itself, which is really the first thing that people would mention in response to the question "what makes a Regal a Grand National, anyway?" ;)
    After all, it looks rather like an arrow, tracking the path of the airflow through a turbocharger... at least the exhaust side of it... exhaust goes in the top, spins around the impeller, and then exits about the middle... that's what the arrow looks to be doing.

So, it in that sense seems to be silly, to have a badge seeming to imply turbocharged greatness on those cars, whose performance most likely wasn't any quicker than say... a Z24 Cavalier, or any of a bunch of other mildly-sporting GM cars that have apparently found a solid market, because across history, there were tons of them...

11. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Wow, just thought this was cool:
    [​IMG]
    I know it was supposed to be black and silver, but I'm picturing that thing as black and creamy white (just the way the drawing hits me), and that thing just screams "Miami Vice"...

In a good way, not a Don Johnson in a pink suit sort of way...
    But more like a Porsche Gemballa, Ferarri Testarossa sort of way.

Check that thing out.. big fender flares that in the picture look to go to a lower body kit, white wide pinstripe...
    Extra long front doors, complete targa top with a virtually frameless windshield, and minimized rear tinted windows that seem to just disappear, and that color matched black and white leather interior.

And check out those wheels. American Racing Vectors... man, now American Racing just makes "I'm in high-school and want people to think my car's cool, I'm going to buy stock-size rims for my ricemobile at Pep Boys" type rims. Ah, how the mighty have fallen.

Anyway, that's the original concept sketch for the Grand Nationals. Very cool.
    The only thing I would have changed, would be to simply eliminate all the big lettering on the car, save for the more tasteful front-fender "grand national" markings, and the cowl lettering.
    That is a cool looking drawing, there.

12. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Wow. That is intresting...

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

The logo actually was inspired by the turbo, hence the "Turbo 6" designation of the badge. It was used as a depiciton of the turbo and is also in the form of a 6 ;).

Why they opted to use it (even in an altered form) on the LGNs or the Gran Sports is beyond me. Marketing, a lack of any fresh ideas, or maybe it is just because it was recognisable to the GN enthusiasts. I don't know for sure...

Another note, the very first prototype for the GN was red. It used grey seating with red piping throughout. I've seen some pics in the Kirban Catalogue of the first. It also had the Badging in a strange place, directly above the front wheel well I believe, or maybe on the front side of the well, I don't recall.

But dang Chris, now you say you don't like my wheels?

[​IMG]

They are the stock WE6 wheels (Turbo Regal). The Grand Nationals in 84 and 85 used them as well with black on the recessed, textured portion of the wheel, and simple brushed aluminum on the spokes.

14. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Alright Seth, here's the GNX. The pics aren't as good as I'd hoped for. I guess that's what you get for using a disposable camera. Uncooperative people made getting good angles for the pics a PITA. However, I managed to get 2 quick pics of the Grand Nat. GNX. The local Buick dealer, Reynolds Buick, owns it...

Pic 1

Pic 2

Here's some pics of, imo, the most beautiful car ever produced. I don't remember what year it is <_< , but I believe it's a early 60's model. The Corvette will never look as it did back in the day :)

Pic 1

Pic 2

*Beware all 56k users. I didn't shrink these pics down from the CD. They are rather large (700K+)*

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

No, I didn't at all say I didn't like those wheels!
    I've actually always been a fan of wheels with that sort of style...
    I like those rims, I like the American Racing Vectors in the picture, I like the 1991 or 1992 Mustang GT's that came with the "turbine" looking wheels (the Mustangs with the louver-look taillights), I even like those Monte Carlo wheels that looked like checkerboards sort of (if you've seen them :p)...

All I'm saying is the drawing, the American Racing Vectors look cool, especially given the year.
    American Racing was cool back then, must have made some good stuff.

Today, American Racing is more like a high-school kid's thing...
    Can't you just picture the 1992 Cavalier, with a racing stripe painted across it, with tall-profile stock-sized tires shod on some cheesy American Racing rim, with an APC muffler sticking out the bottom of the bumper, chrome door-edging on everything (because we want to ACCENTUATE those lines, make people NOTICE those lines... like the gas filler door! :rolleyes: ), etc...
    And of course, a big "APC" sticker in the back window... maybe a furry steering wheel cover, and seat belt pads with japanese letters... :D

Not saying anything bad about your wheels...
    Although it would look really bad-ass if you could get a set of 18" versions of them, the same rim, but larger, lower profile tires on them. Mmm...

16. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I suffer enough traction issues as is. No need to lower the sidewall hieght and add to that ;)

17. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Come on now, if a 500HP Viper or turbo Porsche can wear rubber bands, no reason a GN can't either... :p

Or, maybe it's a good excuse to work out how to get the Syclone AWD tranny and front spindles mounted up on there...
    Now THAT would be something to make other GN owners drool... ;)