Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kustomizingkid, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Full Member

Thats a pretty good and complete setup, covers all the bases. What about sound dedener, I get a little more interior noise than I would like. Whats good for killing some fo the road noise.

Is anyone familar with the trunk in Crown Vics? The trunk has a lower area with a sort of shelf that sits about at the sam level as the rear seat. I want my subs to sit up on the shelf so I can still put all my crap in the trunk. How hard is it to build a custom box to fit where I want it to?

2. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

well luckily the subs i picked out don't require a lot of air space so making a custom box will be easier to fit in where you are talking about. Take a picture for us so we can see what you are talking about. Also take some measurements to see how much room we really have to work with.

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

eazy can maybe help you.dont he have a crown vic?

4. kustomizingkid

I'll take some pics tomorro and get some measures too.

Whats the advantage of having two subs over one? I was thinkig about mounting one sub in the middle of the shelf in the trunk with the amp off to the side.

While I was reading some old posts I came across one about a ported box? with a hole throught the rear deck? Could I do something like that with a center mounted sub? I think that would be interesting with a custom enclousure and the rear deck speakers on either side, but then again maybe I'm crazy and don't have any clue what I'm talking about.

I'm also totally open to changing the speaker sizes and custom mounting them. I'm always up for a challenge, and I want the best speakers that work with eachother if I'm going to replace all teh speakers anyways.

As I understand it different size speakers are better sounding for diferent frequencies. So what are the best speakers to work with each other to give the full sound range.

5. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

the advantage of using 2 subs over 1.. will if you are using 1 amp first of all you can lower the ohm load on it and get more power going to your subs gaining more output. Having 2 drivers over 1 is going to give you more output anyways.

I personally enjoy keeping things simple all this custom mounting and drilling and cutting and so forth is just time that I don't have. Which is why I suggested that whole system there.. would be easy to install if I were doing it. If you want to do custom installation then you can pretty much do any size speaker you really want and how many you want if you have the time to make it work.

6. pedro quiroga

yeah what dave said.it's so much easier with drop in's.that way you know 100% they will fit. no special adapters and what not to worry about.

7. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

hehe.. pretty much.. this...

8. kustomizingkid

Easy is always nice. The only reason I'm thinking all custom is because that's how I always think. I want to keep the car looking stock and only do a few small engine mods. That make me want to focus my attention on the interior and to me the sound sytem is the biggest part of that.

I'm just crazy, always have been. Maybe I should listen to you guys and do it simple, follow the KISS rule..... I just don't know.

I'm not sure about my door speakers they are really really small. I just can't see a decent sounding speaker fitting in the stock door location. How do you measure a speaker? I'm curious to found out what they are.

9. pedro quiroga

crutchfeild says 6x8,5x7,or even a 5 1/4.i would go with a bigger speaker.more cone more sound.

10. kustomizingkid

I don't think that the police cars and civillian cars have the same speakers.

So heres what I want to know, what speakers would you use if you were starting with a completley new set up? I just want to know what the best combo of speakers would be.

11. kustomizingkid

So I think I've decided on a hu, maybe. This one was recomended and I like it. The only thing I want to know is will it have all the options that will allow me to upgrade everything later? I don't want to have to buy another hu later unless the first on breaks.

The only thing that I'm debating about is alpines new ipod adapter. It looks like a very slick set up. Is the ipod adapter with this hu going to be any worse other than the fact that you can't contol songs at the hu?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-s8Oyq1JGKiT/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=113MP5032

12. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

take the speaker grill off and measure the speaker. Take pictures for us to see.

The standard speaker ... well most often used.. is the 6.5" component set in front with whatever in the back for fill. Lots of people like 6x9" speakers for the rear for the added bass.

13. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

well from what i can see with that headunit. 3 preouts. HD radio ready. XM or Sirius ready. Ipod adapter available. Changer control. Internal crossovers. The only reason I could see going for anything else would be if you wanted more EQ bands. Other than that , you should be good to go.

14. kustomizingkid

what are eq bands?

I do like the looks of that hu, and it seems to have most features I would want. The price is great. I bought a hu for my last car from best buy and it was more expensive after the adapter and it had less features.

15. kustomizingkid

So I finally got my lazy but out into the cold and measured up my trunk. The upper shelf area measures:

44" long 18" deep and 11 1/2" tall.

Attached Files:

16. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

well... looking at the area you have. You have plenty of length and depth but not much height to work with. Since you really want to subs to be firing at the rear of the trunk in a horizontal plane... You should consider using either 10's or 8's to save yourself a headache of fitting 12" subs in there.

17. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

I can see a single reflex banpass sitting on that shelf with the vent firing through the rear deck!

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

so can i...but what I'm seeing is isobaric loading

19. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

screw iso boxes.........right in the butt..........

20. kustomizingkid

So it is possible to fit the subs and amp in that space. I don't want to take up too much space in my trunk because I haul way to much crap.

So what would you guys suggest? should I build my own box, I'm geussing there isn't anything premade that will fit. What size subs ahould I use?