Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kustomizingkid, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Full Member

I want to start with a head unit that will have all the features I will ever need, I don't want to have to upgrade again. I was looking at some alpine's with the new ipod adapter that plugs in the bottom instead of the headphone jack. Does anyone else offer this? It looks interesting because you can switch songs at the hu and it also charges the ipod. Whats people opinions on alpine, I've read here that people think they are more complicated. Are alpine products quality?

I have only experienced one car that had a really good sounding system, I had no clue what all he had. All the other cars I've ridden in with systems just sound like garbage. All you can hear is the bass, no words, no nothing. Most of them seem to be installed really poorly. Wires falling out and shorting out, amps just sitting in the trunk moving around, hu installed with wire nuts. I can't stand that crap.

So what all would be involved in having a good well rounded system. I know absolutley nothing. I don't know what anything means or is. RMS?? I couldn't tell you the difference between a 6 by 9 or 5 by 7. I don't know anything. I am here to learn everything I can. Right now the only stereo related thing I am confident doing is installing a hu, I've done several of those for friends.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ok rms is the reading for constant power from an amp.it's short for root mean squared.

6x9 is just that 6 inches by 9inches.an oval speaker.

i looked at some alpines before i got my pioneer and yes it was some what complicated,but they do make a good product.

that thing with the ipod is cool.cause you dont need to buy an adapter box.it's just a wire that plugs into the botttom of the ipod.

get a head that has at least 3 rca out's.you need a seprate sub out.a built in crossover would be nice too.and some sort of eq maybe.

3. kustomizingkid

I don"t know what this means either, is there a book like car audio for complete morons cause thats what I need.

4. pedro quiroga

Hmmm.ok.an rca is a cable that connects to your amps.
    the same type of jack you would find at home.going from your dvd/vcr to your tv or amp.

5. DREAMZmustang

DREAMZmustang Full Member

welcome man! i just did a supercharger for a PI with the 4.6 and we got about a 190hp gain from it and then some fine tuning we 476 total hp and this thing was clean too

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

What he means in even more simple terms is that an RCA cable is a SIGNAL cable...transfers the signal(music) from one source to another

7. pedro quiroga

yeah, i was trying to give him a visual.unless he doesnt have any sort of home entertainment.

8. kustomizingkid

This is what I'm talking about, lamens terms and expalinations.

I've found that anything with a car if you don't understand what your doing it never goes well.

So let me see if what I've gotten down so far is correct.

The head unit is the brains of your stereo, it converts music from cds the raidio or any other means into an electronic signal that the speakers can use.

This is where I get fuzzy, the head unit has wires coming out of it that can be diredtly connected to the speakers utilizing the internal amp in the hu. Or you can use the rca out puts and connect them to an amp. Then you hook the speakers up to the amp. This allows the amp of your choice to power all the speakers, correct?

I've always thought that subs were the only thing you used an amp for. From what I've read sofar you can also power the other speakers through an amp.

As far as rms goes, I still don't really understand what it is. The only thing I seemed to have heard is that you want the rms of the amp and the speakers to match.

I'm sure some of the things I'm correct on but I'm sure I'm off on others.

You guys have already been very friendly and helpfull. After a few months I'm sure that I'll be capable of installing a very nice system in my car.

9. kustomizingkid

What did you use for the sc? Did you go AED or the Vortech kit for stangs and adapt it. Or did you go top mounting like Kenne Belle? What about the trans and tc? Shif kit higher stall, or wait till it goes and then replace it?

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

RMS rating is the continuous power handling...dont ever look into the PEAK ratings...most of the times these are overinflated and mean nothing.

An amplifier can power any speaker you want...I would suggest having an amp that is rated a little higher than the speakers rms power handling...cleaner signal

11. kustomizingkid

So would you suggest using a seperate amp instead of hooking the speakers up to the head unit?

12. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

depends on how loud you want your system really

13. pedro quiroga

do some research.get some magazines and get familiar with good brands.we dont want to see you get ripped off buy someone that knows you dont know anyhing about what your going to buy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_audio

read this. it might help.just ignore the part about adding a cap

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

What pedro means is go here to learn

http://www.bcae1.com/

An amp can make your music sound better...its not just for loudness...but it sure does help to get loud lol

15. pedro quiroga

ok.thats the only one i knew of.i really didnt look anyways,just stumbled onto it when i was on wikipedia

16. kustomizingkid

So what do you guys think for a system for about $1000, What kind of speakers, how many speakers, amps, hu, wiring, subs?

Where should I put the speakers because the door speakers in this car are a joke?

17. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

i can help you with this

18. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

OK!!!!! so it looks like you have 6x8" speakers all around. NO PROBLEM!

First lets start with a HU, most guys like either Pioneer or Kenwood so I will throw them out there. I personally am not into the real flashy ones so here we go.

Pioneer
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ygX4IyXrcXp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=130DEHP390

Kenwood
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ygX4IyXrcXp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=113MP5032

Of course Crutchfield gives you all your wiring harnesses and adapter plates to fit your radio in for free.

Next lets do your front stage. I have fell in love with Polk speakers lately so im going to go for them right away.

Front Stage - if you order from crutchfield they will give you an adapter plate to fit them in your 6x8 opening.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ygX4IyXrcXp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=107DB5250&g=410

Rear Fill - Just about any will do for rear fill, I chose one that I would consider as a rear fill speaker that fits your car.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-h23KuZCcsyH/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=158XSV680H

Subs! - Well I as looking for some subs that didnt take huge amounts of power to run but still put out some great output while maintaining SQ and I found these guys. get TWO of these.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSTON-ACOUSTIC...ryZ18803QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Amp- I personally love to simplify an install with a single amp. This matches up perfect to your system and is a real performer.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-DIRECTED-AU...oryZ4950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

19. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

so thats about 900 bucks shipped for it all... that leaves you with 100 bucks for wires and cables ect. which should be plenty.

20. pedro quiroga

damd Dave.so what do you do in your spare time:lol: