Flaming on CAF

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by The_Ancient, Mar 26, 2002.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

That is an assembly plant. The parts (over 50%) are made overseas. Accords are over 75% american made.

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

3.8l huh. All the 3.8s eat HGs

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

That's not true at all..

HISTORICALLY American cars have paled .. and I mean PALED in comparison to import cars.. since their introduction in the '60's and 70's..

In the past 10 years specifically, American car quality has steadily IMPROVED, faster than import car quality has improved...
    That means US companies are catching up! Still lag behind in quality and reliability, but they are catching up - and should be proud of that..

If you pick up the Annual Auto Issue of Consumer Reports, you can see this, they break down and categorize various aspects of reliability, car-maker by car-maker, model by model, year by year...
    Remember, Consumer Reports is no polling company, no survey company, they use audit reports from the manufacturers themselves, in regards to defects, information from the car dealers themselves in regards to repairs... ;)

That particular annual issue should be regarded as the bible for used car buying... and new car buying for that matter!

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I work on cars daily. I can say that Honda is the best mfg out there. followed closely by buick. All Buick, Buicks I mean. Not Chevy Buicks.

5. spyder3634

spyder3634 Full Member

man all this car stuff is realy enlightening and such but cars are cars. all u need is room for a stereo....:D

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Actually, Toyota has bested Honda for a few years, in terms of quality. But they have made some pretty boring stuff up until last year when suddenly the new Celica, and MR-2 spider came out!

Although I still would love a 92 or 93 Toyota 2wd truck to lower rather than my Nissan winter beater... Toyota trucks have always been my favorite, for no other reason than style though..

7. spyder3634

spyder3634 Full Member

ya they arent known for theyre big brute power. theyre known for theyre lowridin:D ;)

8. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

here we go with consumer reports again

FUCK CONSUMER REPORTS

I gather my info when I was researching for a new car before i bought my T-Bird

all of the info came from the Highway Saftery commishion of the NTSB, from CONSUMER data on there hotline and polls. the same reports they use to issue manadory recalls and other mandates

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

all i know id most of my family beside me and my dad buy imports because they are cheaper

and they THANK GOD for those extened warranies becasue they use the fuck out of them

but me and my dad in out "unrelaibable" american cars are the ones having to drive them around when there cars are in the shop

10. JTz62

JTz62 Full Member

I must say that all of my GM cars I ever owned were nothing but great. That's why I'll be going to buy another one as soon as I sell the Impala, probably another Regal. It all boils down to how the car was taken care of from day one. If you buy your car from someone who drives around with their foot on the floor all the time, and doesn't change the oil, and stuff like that, chances are the car won't hold up as good as the one you get from that "little old lady" that only put 40-50k miles since new.

11. spyder3634

spyder3634 Full Member

:werd:

12. bigsexxxy69

bigsexxxy69 Full Member

and everybody knocks fords Ive had three of them and and I havent had any porblems with them and neither has the rest of my family who drive fords except for when my firestone blew out on my explorer while I was doing like 180mph and flipped it 30 times :bs: j/k

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

And you still bought a 3.8 liter Ford? For shame!!!

Really guys, I know what goes on with cars after a few years. I work on them 45-50 hours a week, and sometimes more if I am in the mood to do side jobs. Consumer reports are junk. So is the info from the NTSB. I see them from a more realistic perspective. I see them after it has 35,000 miles on it. The reports, as a general rule,, only contain new model car info. They neglect to mention problems that will arise in the future.

Toyotas blow head gaskets. Ford 3.8s blow them ALL the time. I did an engine in a continental with 80,000 (bent a rod because a blown hg leaked into a cylinder, filling it with water, and upon starting it couldn't compress the water) and a windstar hg this week alone!!! I don't care what the reports say. I care about the pattern failures I see day in and day out.

just my .02

14. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I love my 3.8L ford, I wish it had more power at times but for a daily dirver it is fine

the head gasket are on a VOLANTRY RECALL so if the people did not have them chaged that is there own fault

Shit happens I respect a company that will recall when they know the fucked up (which ford did in this cases) so the head gasket thing is known and has been taken care of

once they were replaced FOR FREE I have no other probelms

and i drive my cars HARD, and I maean HARD, ia m one of thsoe that use the Automatics as manuals, Power Brake to spin the tires ect ect

but I also change my fluids on time every time and do all the preverntive mantenance

My dad had a 1978 Ford truck to use a as to and from truck, bought it for $250 it had 350K orginal miles on it, body was rusting the fuck off the truck, he though he would get 1 year at the most out of it, he had to change the tranny once, and I belive to this day it is running as a junk yard truck to the place the he gave it to when he got tired fo drivering it

15. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I got one of those "old lady" cars! MY 1984 Sunbird had 47k when I bought it for $1k. Granted I just replaced the stock spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, and distributer cap this year. Its 1.8L 4 cyl runs as smooth as a cloud. Only thing I have replaced is the radiator and the alternator. Its up to 57K now. Its been leaking oil for a while now, it might be the main gasket (dont remember its name ); ). When the body rots out I got another body waiting for it!