Do Alpine head units just suck?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Slump_Da_Hustla, Jan 31, 2003.

1. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Only thing that puts the pioneers over alpines as far as looks go is those graphic displays. I personally dont need all that. I'd rather all that effort put into those graphics be put into better SQ. I'll admit the alpines might not be the best looking decks, but from my experiance, They offer great sound, very user friendly, useful features, and the not so useful features you get with other decks are usually left out. I'm in no way saying that Pioneer HU's suck, but alpine decks fit me better. I will like to throw this one in though. I did a head to head at NOW audio and video with the alpine 7894, and the pioneer 740 or 7400, dont remember which it was, but i found the pioneer added a bit of unwanted noise to the music. Listening to the same music, same setup and all, the pioneer just seemed to offer a little coloration. More than i'd like to deal with during my daily driving.

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yep, I must say i agree. Having the 7400MP in my car for a few months, and then switching to the 7894, i definitely noticed a flatter sound right off the bat. The Pioneer just likes to color the basslines a little bit whereas the Alpine is pretty flat throughout. If you like everything with a little added low-end, then the Pioneer is the unit for ya.

3. Slump_Da_Hustla

Slump_Da_Hustla Full Member

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm way happier with the pioneer deck. Much cleaner looking (no giant green sqaure buttons) and I didn't like the motorized face AT ALL. It was extremely easy to scratch your CDs on the face if you tried switching discs while driving. Plus the pioneer matches my interior B)

4. ASM

ASM Full Member

Every Deck I've owned has been an Alpine, and I've only had a problem with one. It was the 7909 and it was about 10 years old at the time, so I guess it can be excused for having problems.

5. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

Eh.... I refuse to listen to MP3's anyways...... musically they are just painful to the ears. How can you guys listen to that dynamicless compressed garbage? To each his own I guess....

6. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I still can't understand how any one with human ears can tell a difference between an Mp3 encoded (well) at 192kbps or higher and a regular CD. I've tried, and its just not there for me... Some people have super hearing i guess...

7. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Unless you're a pit bull, your ears arent that sensitive buddy. I mean, if you notice a difference, fine, but im hard pressed to believe that you notice that big of a difference. Some feel mp3's are lossy, but when dealing with well encoded mp3's at 192kbps or better, the losses arent that serious, and probably not noticable at all in my experiance. If Its that bad to you, then your name on the forums is fido from now on heh? hehe :p :blink: :lol:

8. superman

superman Guest

Really? You don't sell the 840 then do you? I heard they were having reliability issues with the motorized faces.[/b][/quote]
    yeah we sell the 840, but we haven't sold a lot of them, I don't think that our price is competitive enough. But it's funny that you mentioned it, my manager bought one, installed it, pushed the button to open the face and the thing was all bound up, just went down about a quarter of an inch and stopped, I believe that many of these 840 have motorized face issues.

9. Nevermind

Nevermind Guest

mmm... Clarion.

10. trifle

trifle Full Member

buy clarion

11. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

I've heard in difference in listeneing to MP3's (even 196) versus the original....very very subtle imaging characteristics. Below 196 they can tend to suck, especially in the home setup where the loudest thing is the clock ticking in the next room.

12. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yeah, anything below 192 and there is quite a large difference.

13. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

squatchie is member number 420..hehe hehe hehe hehe

Funny :D