Cutlass

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by jonnyv713, Aug 16, 2008.

1. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

ya i dont even have to fiberglass, i will just use that duraglass stuff. looks easier and i like those straight edges like that. im gonna do it just like that i think.

3. jonnyv713

well i cut a ring and put some sticks around it to kinda put it in place to see how it works. hows it look?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

damn, you didn't waste any time. looks good but it doesn't look like you'll be able to use your parking brake anymore. just make sure that they are firing so you can hear them well. Drivers side looks like it should be angled a bit more to the right (tilted) cuz it looks pretty straight right now. same thing with the passenger side, put it at a tilt so the sound will hit you right in the ear and if someone is sitting there the sound won't bounce off or block with their leg there.

5. jonnyv713

ya tis was just a test run. im gonna try to do more this weekend. i have a varsity game tomorro so im noy gonna be able to do iy.

6. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice job johnny! You must have seen that ED video lol. Ya the angle looks weird, maybe plan to turn them like half a turn each to get a better angle.

7. jonnyv713

ya i will . i dont want them really far away from the kick though. I seen some of them done in a Monte Carlo, they have the same floor as my Cutlass, and they were nearly laying on the floor. it was for imaging though i guess. i am willing to sacrifice some sound if it takes laying the speaker down.

i was qondering how to make the back of the pod? i wanna do it like he did it in the video but it doesnt show how he did the back and bottom. am i going to have to do fiberglass anyways?

i was thinking of making the whole pod so i can remove the old panels and put these in. so they are interchangeable. i think it would be cool to be factory like too. if i go that route i will cover it with foil and tape off the floor, the put bags everywhere. then cover it all up with glass... then use the popsicle sticks to maximize the inside volume instead of curving it and losing airspace.

i also heard of cutting a 2-3 inch hole in the bottom to displace air into the carpet or something. is that somewhat like adding an apperiodic vent or whatever it is called? and will that help it?

8. jonnyv713

well today i found some left over pieces of 8AWG and 4AWG wire with some ring terminals so i decided to run 4AWG to the battery from the alternator and 8 AWG from the chassis and starter to the battery. all sottered connections and all loomed, even used ARP 12-point bolts on the battery lol. and i taped the kick in the drivers side in to get an idea of the shape.

9. jonnyv713

ok guys, i know, i dont have the first one done but for 200 bucks and these cars becoming hard to find and the fact that i love them, i have to get it. Thats right, saturday we are going about 100 miles away and pickin up an '83 Cutlass for 200 bucks. almost positive on this, all we need to do is find a trailer to borrow.

and my next birthday present, November 5th, is those rims, and new tires too. goin 255/60/15 on the rear and 225/70/14 on the front.

i will getting my liscence back around that time too!

the plans for the next Cutlass is a Drag car. we are hoping i can somehow start a fulltime career out of Drag racing so its time to start building a car. Wish me luck guys!

10. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

good luck jonny... got any pics of the '83? does it need a lot of work?

11. jonnyv713

thats the funny part, im basically trusting soe guys' words. i have no clue about the car, all i know is that its 200 bucks, an '83, and was the coolest car in town back in the day. to tell you the truth, i dont care too much about how much woork it needs because its getting backhalfed with slicks and prolly about 600HP on the motor with 2 stages on Nitrous. 150 off the line and 100 at midtrack. but im basiccaly buying the car for the front of the fram and a descent body. the interior will be aluminum floors and racing seats. obviously not happening rigt away. Gonna hit it hard in the summer though and stay out of trouble!

12. jonnyv713

ok tomorrow i was thinkin about goin to get some tint. i have been watching videos to see how to do it. but anyways, do u think 5% will look good on my black car?

13. jonnyv713

ok guys RIMS ARE HERE! i will put them on as soon as i can. ill take pics as soon as its done too.

14. jonnyv713

k i got the rims and some tires they came with. they are too small for my liking so ima have to get some new ones. probly monday. i got the tint today too. i have to put that on tomorrow. i also took pics but the comp is being gay and waont let me upload them. ill keep trying tho.

15. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

how did the tinting go? did it turn out ok?

16. jonnyv713

it sucked azz! i think i got it figured out though. i am gonna try it a lil bit more tomorrow. i got a window done but it it wasnt the best so i tore it off and tried it again but i uffed it up. so ya...

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

how are you doing it? you should mix some soap and water, spray both on the tint and the window. when cutting the tint make your pattern from the outside it's easier that way. once you spray with soap and water on both the tint and window then use a squeege (i suck at spelling) to work all the bubbles out. It would be cool if you had a heat gun, bubbles are easier to get out when you uses a heat gun.

over here in the Philippines we're allowed to tint the windshields. we can do it now in one piece (no cuts) as long as you have a heat gun...

18. jonnyv713

i did that! i just uffed it up TWICE! i will get it this time tho! we too have like no actual tint laws here in SD i mean they do but they aint inforced at all so ive decided to go 20 on the front and 5 in the rear sides and rear window.

19. jonnyv713

ok how could today get any better?!?!? first i woke up in a garage of a friends house in a lawn chair, ten i go ome and cleaned my motor for my car, then i went off to the city to meet my dad. we decided we had enough time to stop to get the mail. i get it and there is one with my name on it from the DMV! yup, i got my liscence back already. so then i drove to the city and got new tires ordered for my new rims, came home ate chinese food, went for a drive, went to a girls house wit 2 girls and me and no parents lol, and then came home and started writing this! great day today!!!! tires will ne here monday and get put on then too! after the trade ins of tires and rims, i got tires, lug nuts and installation for $315. they are BFG 235/70/15 and 225/70/14. dang im so excited!

20. jonnyv713

ok, sorry guys. i have been really busy but here ya go. newest look of the Cutlass.
    [​IMG]