Brahma this, Brahma that...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kbog, Jul 30, 2002.

1. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

Hey guys... Sorry I haven't had time lately, been working like a dog for mexican wages. Also been riding my 2000 yz125, I love it, and helping my bro at the races.
    As of now I don't use my radio/HU b/c I was moving my seat, (where my ground wire is) and it pulled the ground out of the fitting, and I haven't had time to put it back in.

Okay Brahma talk...
    Seth thanks for all the help! It is extremely nice and considerate of you to help me and all of us with this problem.
    Just one question?.. Is every 12" Brahma owner experiencing this problem? I mean how come I am the only complaint?

Also YA! yay for Brahma??? I'm sorry but I spent $400 on a sub that should be perfect for that amount of money. And now.. I have to cob my subwoofer up with househould products such as glue and cotton balls?:confused: Thats just silly.. I mean is that popping bad or what will it ruin my sub? I mean I can't hear it up front but still it bugs me.
    But cotton balls.. that sounds a little bit ridiculous...

The DD 9512 is looking good right about now :(

The Brahma- I was under the impression, the perfect sub... :(

That would suck to have a cotton balled, inverted, subwoofer..

Anyways, I dunno what I am going to do for now.. I haven't really payed much attention to my sub since the last week, I been working so hard to pay of debts (dirtbike, boots) need a car alarm system..

thanks guys for your concern.

ttyl

2. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

Seth,

Interesting fix! It should work for a while, until the cotton is worn away...

Ryno,

If you're not sure about the driver, contact your dealer and send it back for a warranty inspection/rebuild to see if there is a problem. VERY few people are having problems with the Brahmas, and in most cases it is from application or overdriving. I'm not dissing anyone, just stating what we've found.

But if you are concerned, please contact your dealer and send it back for inspection. Get it checked out to put your mind at rest.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Ryan, I'm really sorry you are disapointed, but don't forget the most important thing. It sounds awesome where it should, from the drivers seat. While the slap is annoying if you are right there, in the car the woofer really is such a piece of musical heaven it is easy to forget the slap.

keep us tuned in.

4. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

I hope I am not giving the wrong impression. I do love the sub, it's just the popping noise, I don't know if its going to hurt the sub.
    I hope I am not giving it a bad name either, Dan is seeming to get irked.
    So Seth, If I play it as loud as I want it that popping noise wont do anything to the sub will it?
    You can only hear the slap when the hatch is open and your standing there which could be embrassing hanging out with your buddies, hey come look at my sup, and it sounds like jiffy pop.
    But could I take the same kinda felt like fabric they have for the tinsel leads, and put them where it is hitting on the spider?

Sound good?

Dan - What would do if I sent it back? Would you fix the noise?

Thanks Dan, Sandt, Geo, Kbog for all your support

5. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

Ryno,

No, you won't damage the sub with the occasional lead slap (and as Sandt38 points out, pretty much all subs with tinsel leads have slap. And those with woven tinsel leads have some of their own set of issues).

I'm not getting irked; I just wanted to let you know that the best way to get a problem resolved is to go back to your dealer and ask them about it. In checking it out, we'd make sure the leads are of proper length, the pads are located correctly, mount of the spider is fine, etc. A complete recheck of the driver itself. And if there is a problem, we'll fix it.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I think the felt will work. I will try to use a softer high pile felt than they chose to use on the cone this weekend. I'll let you know the results when I do it. I think Dan answered the rest, and it's his company so I'll leave it at that.

7. FaintReality

FaintReality Full Member

Keep us updated and post some pics if all works well. Hopefully dan will make a fix for the new batches since I seem to see this topic come up quite often.

dave

8. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Full Member

We're looking at it... We've had 4 cases of lead slap in the Brahma 12s (none in the 10s or 15s), two of which are Ryno and Sandt38... Out of all that we've shipped, it's been pretty rare. It's certainly talked about a LOT more than it's been reported to us. My guess is tolerance on the length of the tinsel leads. We're looking into it, though.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

9. FaintReality

FaintReality Full Member

Let us know if you find out any info. on this subject!

dave

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I never reported it. I just consider it the price one has to pay for a high excursion driver. I don't show it off while it's boomin so I never worried about it.

11. syntekz

syntekz Full Member

Your setup is sweet man. I love the inverted Brahma. You act like you have a top secret project in your trunk. I'd show it off to everyone. ;)

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Thanks.

I do. It's a no name sub, and no name amps, in a big old American RWD POS ;) .

13. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

Theres something seriously wrong with this thing!
    Okay I thought it was tinsel slap. But now..

I just put in the new Eminem cd. First couple of tracks it doesn't make the popping noise, (*Note i am sitting int he drivers seat) then I go to track 11, and I am pretty sure the frequencies are lower, and it pops sooooo bad. Really loud even in the drivers seat, and it pops over the bass and the rattling of my car, I mean blatantly obvious that the popping is there almost if the sub was made to pop.

I don't get it! (scratches head)

Dan, I am going to send this to you soon as possible. Thanks

Seth you have anything like this.

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

No. That sounds like a problem to me. Are all your amp grounds good? I know you said you overheated once, I wonder if that's it? Double check all your connections, and if they are all definately good, send it back. If it's loud in the car you have issues other than slap. Sorry bud.
    Seth

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Hey Ryan, where in NY are you? If it's near Buffalo you may want to contact Geo. He is there, and from what I gather on the forums, I'm sure he'd be willing to help.

16. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

I just re-hooked my grounds this morning to make sure everything was in check.

Sigh.

17. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

Heh, I've juggled the idea.
    I live in Albany, It's about a 6-7 hour drive to Buffalo... Maybe we could meet at Syracuse.. But I doubt that would fly.
    LOL

Thanks for the gesture.

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

6-7 hours? You drive slow. It's just the 90 straight out there. I used to drive from Buffalo to The City by way of Albany and I could be there in 8 hours (to The City that is). Buck up buddy. Geo's got some sweet shit layin around (the PG Cyclone for example). It'd be worth the drive.

19. PointSource

PointSource Guest

bad amp grounds would not be the problem..........check the huge amplifier ground post on Carsound.........

20. FaintReality

FaintReality Full Member

ryno4: Did you throw on the cotton to see if it helped?

dave