Big Install Weekend ahead of me.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DaveDSMer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. sl0wm03

sl0wm03 Full Member

lol, that's my point, I don't know about all of that "stuff". I'm saying I don't know about the wires, and blah blah blah.. and all that other blah.

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

so all you know is that the music comes from the speakers and the rest is magic?:lmfao:

sorry.....had too.:lol:

3. pedro quiroga

what time are you going to start the install?you think you'll be done in one day.

i just cant wait to see it....:lol:

4. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

lol Pedro tell me about it.. so much crap to do over the weekend. I am going to get as much as I can done and post the results as soon as I can. This radio is going to look so badass in this truck. In the picture when i bough it, it was all silver.. but the one i got was black with silver dials.. its going to blend right in with the stock dash.

5. pedro quiroga

sweet...can't wait! get to it

6. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

ive been busy all morning grrr... I am hoping to get my headunit in and most of my deadener. Also going to go ahead and get my masonite marked out for when i make the cuts with the jigsaw. Going to have to check all my mounting depths and such today. Then tomorrow should go smoothe as I should have most of everything planned and mapped out by then.

7. pedro quiroga

good luck with all that.

8. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

well i installed the radio, mounted the sirius antenna both of which look real clean. Ran into a snag though. The headunit is NOT producing any sound. It powers up.. memory works.. and i can "hear" the speakers "pop" with power when it turns on and when i switch sources.. but I am getting 0 music out of them. I pulled it out and checked my connections and its all working. So I have two scenarios in my head.. either the internal amp on the headunit is dead or (less likely) for some odd reason the internal amp turns off when I have all the pre-outs hooked up.. similar to how when you plug headphones into computer speakers they turn off. So tomorrow I am going to put my amps in and see if the headunit sends the signal through the RCA's or not. Very frustrating day today trying to troubleshoot this headunit. So the speakers and amps go in tomorrow.. man i hope they work.

9. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Good luck with that! I have run a HU in the past that had crapped out internal ouputs with an external amp using only the RCA's.....it works finbe that way, sometimes!

Curous, did you run all new speaker wire or use the factory wire?

10. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

factory wire at the moment. Planned on using new speaker wire when i hook up the new speakers.

11. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

nothing wrong with factory wire,,it works and works well.

12. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

i agree, factory wire will remain but going to use new wire to make runs to the amp.. that way I can return the stock speakers if i ever sell the truck.

13. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

whats ironic is one of the reasons I wanted a Kenwood was the feature to turn off the internal amp.. I guess i got what i wanted.. in a way.

14. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

well i was bored and figure i would post what ive done so far..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

How are you going to hid the wires by the stick shift or aren't you?

16. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

ill find a way.. they are just sitting there till i figure out exactly where the amps are going to be..

I may have to put my blaupunkt under my seat due to space reasons.. i am hoping to fit the sony somewhere between the box and driver side jumpseat.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  17. pedro quiroga

damb!!for some reason your pics arent showing up on my screen.just a little red X.

18. pedro quiroga

nevermind just had to reboot.

can you show us a pic of the back seat area

19. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

ummm dave lol if that unit has a function to turn off the internal amp then maybe it is off in the settings. Have you read the manual about this function. I had a hell of a time when i first got my pioneer trying to get sound from the rcas. The deck comes with the aux turned off and you have to press a sequence of buttons while turning the unit on to get to it! also i would try unplugging all the rcas and just try any crap speaker you have directly to make sure it's not the factory wiring too.

20. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Maybe this! page 12 of the manual EZ700SR

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/simple.aspx?men=2&M2=69

Speaker Setting
    Fine-tuning so that the System Q value is optimal
    when setting the speaker type.
    1 Enter Standby
    Press the [SRC] button.
    Select the "STANDBY" display.
    2 Enter Speaker Setting mode
    Press the [AUDIO] knob.