BEtter Audio Birth-day soon! Specs and prices:

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by geolemon, Feb 7, 2003.

1. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

nice post warbleed...... good to see ya round tese parts.

I have seen both pro' and con's of progressive spiders. Its is true they TEND to have a little flatter KMS curve(though it is very dependant on the driver and actual spider used it seems) but in the case of the BA subs, they seem to have a perfectly acceptable flat KMS curve without the progressive spider and they gain at least 5-6 mm of excursion from changing from the progressive to the linear. This is because of the big fat outer roll on the progressives being the place the cone bottoms out. Being that the sub is still moving linearly at that point, a linear spider seems to be the obvious choice for this particular situation in that it gains linear travel, and dosent lose the nice flat KMS curve.

just my 2 cents

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

That's what we have been told, and that's what we are trying to confirm with the DUMAX testing.

Like I said earlier, the Brahma spider is actually more linear than it is progressive, very flat KMS curve. To me, the line is often vague between what is linear and what is progressive. B)

To be honest, ideal for me would be a curve that was flat for about 25mm and then rose... again, the highest number of Brahma failures seem to have been due to overexcursion... it would be somewhat nice to have a sort of "abuse bumper" in there, to help maintain linearity where it matters, and when the sub starts operating outside that range, to start making it more and more difficult to reach that "critical failure" point.
    To make a car analogy, better brakes AND more room in front of the car to try to stop before you hit the wall...;)

Also, I'd like to point out subs like the new Elemental A series, that TC Sounds prototype that we played with, and quite a few other subs that Stephen showed us DUMAX curves on, yielded very flat KMS curves with linear spiders.
    Definitely depends on the spider! ;)