Amp Question

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by fb4076, Jan 27, 2004.

1. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

ok, maybe I am retarded..... but I can not find the classifieds....

2. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

What gauge wire would you recommend using to hook up a 12-inch Kicker solo baric L7 up to a 750 watt amp? What gauge would you recommend to hook the amp up to the car.

3. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Power wire, at least 4 guage. Speaker wire, that's debateable. I personally, never use anything above 16 guage unless I have multiple woofers running off 1 amp, or channel. Most people will tell you to go with 12 guage or higher, but there is no real "performance" advantage. If you look on Ebay, you can find some nice big spools of 16 or 14 guage for relatively little money.

4. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

alright, so just the best buy 12 gauge would work....

5. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

well, you CAN use it... but you will only get 500 watts a piece.

If you want more than that, yuou need an amp that puts out full power at 2 ohm.

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

4 gauge is too small for 750 watts, IMO.

Particularly when there's no big expense involved in buying big fat main power wire. B)

Go to ikesound.com, they just started carrying my favorite amp wiring kit (just because it's an amazing value), the Audiopipe 1/0 gauge wiring kit. It literally includes everything you'll need... ANL fuseholder and fuse for up front, 20 ft. of 1/0 gauge wire, distribution block for the back, 16 ft. RCA cable, two machined 1/0 ring terminals, etc.
    Oh, only $55.