Amp power troubles

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by Ice Cold, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Full Member

I just found out my alternator is pretty weak and the only new options are pretty weak so.... I don't really need to do much rewiring to get the 70 amps out of it :[ .

Dudes are telling me I might want to get a dedicated battery......... Does that work , how long will it last me if my amp has to suck on it? xD

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i would still do the big 3 first and then if you still have a lot of dimming then go with an extra battery.

Extra batteries are still going to charged by the alternator so the battery won't die on you. you're just wiring another battery to the car for the audio is all that is.

do the big three first and then see. I have a friend with a honda civic which is also a 70amp alternator and he's running over 1000 watts rms and he doesn't get any dimming

3. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Full Member

So, I went to the audio place today and they switched me from the DAT amp to a Hertz ep 1.

They tried to adjust it for me, but.......... o_O I dunno why ..... the bass doesnt kick in until I have the volume higher than I can usually listen to =/

or well.. it doesnt kick in strong.........
    I can barely tell its on untill i'm at too high a volume @_@

.......... man... I wonder what they did.........

dude told me the Hertz amp pulls less power than the Diablo , but.... they tried it and said they are still getting drops in current so I dunno what the hell to think about that. =/

*ponders*

so i'm kind of in a worse place than I already was.......

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

thats a problem most people have with small cars and big systems. you can purchase a few big batts to go in the trunk and do the big 3 also. it will help.

i have a friend with an 04 neon and stock electrical, no big 3 and runs well over 8000 watts in his car, but he backs them up with 5 or 6 batts in the trunk.

5. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Full Member

I found a 165 amp alternator on a ebay store for my car... It's a rebuild of the original. it looks like this guy has sold a lot of them and other alts.

it's not too expensive ..... I am gonna run it with this I hope:D

I'm gonna do a big 3 upgrade too

6. pedro quiroga

what kind of warranty does it have?

7. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Full Member

It's got a one year warranty . As long as I don't personally **** it up I can return it for another one.

8. pedro quiroga

ok. good luck with it.

9. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Full Member

thanks, with my current track record im gonna need the luck

10. kingsuv

kingsuv Full Member

Ice,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your amp.

Lets see if we can troubleshoot with some ideas.

First off, if you can grab a few pics of how your setup is, it can make it a 100 times easier to show the whole picture. We might be able to spot something that can be the issue that might otherwise be hard to describe.

You say you have 6g or 4g wiring to the amp? How does the wire look in the terminals? Is it small in reference to the terminals? Our amps accept 1/0G wire and should fill the whole terminal. You may have the right size and just be calling the wire out differently. I don't see a shop using a smaller wire then required.

On the ground for the amp. How is it grounded? Is it the same size wire as the power? Where is it grounded? Is it grounded to a bolt on the body? Or is it grounded to a frame? Does it have a dedicated ground from the battery? or is it something like Sheetrock screws to the body? What does the ground look like? Is it nice and clean with shinny metal where it is bolted?

I'm sure with the right questions we can figure out the issues you are having with our product.

Feel free to either hit me up on here or you can email me at:

bill@diabloaudiotechnologies.com

Thanks, Bill