Adire Vs. Id

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by PolkMM, Mar 11, 2004.

1. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

I am saying just that Cort...

BL linearity is the reason. Motor strentgh will not fall off with a flat BL driver like it will with the typical parabolic driver. Look at the BL curve, it is easy enough to see. Referance efficiency at 1 watt means zero when we get to 500 wattts and motor 1's BL is falling off while motor 2's BL is still the same. Lemme ask you, how often do you drive down the road listening to your driver with 1 watt?

Chad,

Smaller enclosure size always means the driver is less efficient. There is always a tradeoff. However, I wonder if you have ever had your hands on a Brahma. Without ever having had the ability to use one of the drivers and experiment with it (because quite frankly there is no other driver with it's ruler flat BL) you will never be able to understand it's behavior. Motor strength in a ported box is MONSTEROUS at tuning. I had to weld a steel plate below my trunk floor to stop the trunk from flexing. This strength is massive through it's excursion. Unloading is immediate and rather surprising. Sealed box strength is obviously similar. The flat motor strength also creates added efficiency at higher excursion as well. The driver is so easy to use, so forgiving in box size/type/power/etc. it is impossible to make the assumptions you are making without laying your hands on 1 and playing with it. [/b][/quote]
    Well, since I was only talking sealed vs. sealed, I'm not quite sure how to answer that. :)

I really have no clue how the Brahma does ported, nor will I make any claims.

2. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

so to get a single brahma hooked up to my 550S i wire it like this:
    positive from amp to pos. one voice coil 1, negative from voice coil 1 to positive on voice coil 2, negative on voice coil 2 to negative on amp
    correct?
    if i want to run 2 of them off a single amp...i have to wire it into a 1 or 4 ohm load correct?
    how would i wire it into a 1 ohm load?
    thanks again
    -Cody

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

That's the correct way to wire one in series, polk.
    That'll get you a 4 ohm load.
    Your other choice would have been series wiring, which would have gotten you a 1 ohm load. ;)

If you get two subs, you won't be able to wire them to a 4 ohm load, unless you only use one voice coil per sub - which means either shorting the other voice coil, or running it with an RDO technique, a potentiometer across the other voice coil.. cool things can be done, but you do cut your BL in half (6dB less efficiency).

If you get a second sub, two subs can be wired either with all four voice coils in series like you are doing with your one sub, which will get you an 8 ohm load... probably that's higher than what you want. Your amp won't make much power.

Or you could wire all four voice coils in parallel, which would get you a 0.5 ohm load... probably that's lower than what you want... I can't think of many amps offhand (no current amps) that can handle a 0.5 ohm load without melting internally, seriously.

Your best bet with two subs is to wire them series/parallel.
    What you do, is wire that jumper wire, just like you are doing now, on each sub - first VC's negative to the second VC's positive... and in effect, you've created two 4 ohm subs.
    Now, when you wire those in parallel together, you create a 2 ohm load for your amp.
    That's ideal for a large number of class D amps out there. B)

4. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

USA-3000
    Two Channel Class AB Amplifier
    Total Power Output: 3000 Watts RMS
    THD at Rated Power: 0.1%
    Signal/Noise Ratio: >105dBA
    Frequency Response: 5Hz-50KHz
    Damping Factor: >2200
    Fuse Rating: 450 Amps
    Variable 24dB Low-Pass Active Crossover
    One Ohm Stable
    1500 Watts x 2 into 1 Ohms
    3000 Watts Bridged into 2 Ohms
    Besides this amp, what are some other options?
    I dont want any lower than USAmps(quality wise) and want to put 1500 watts to each sub
    thanks chris
    -Cody