Adire Parthenon

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by ScottS, Dec 29, 2003.

1. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

hehe

I got that too a few months ago.

If you're planning on posting over there, you'd better memorize all your transistor,

resistor, capacitor, and inductor serial numbers. They like that kinda stuff.

Especially when Chris comes in. Lord have mercy. I'ts like learning binary all over

again, except with 10 numbers instead of 2.

Jeff

2. Bill F.

Bill F. Full Member

Geo, others,

I don't know where the thread will go, but I thought it would be cool to try to pull together a plan someone could get done relatively simply/cheaply at a local machine shop or well-equipped home shop. :gunsmilie:

Hobbes,

Dan shared some of the Parthenon numbers with me in confidence, and suffice it to say that the Pe is huge, and the momentary rating will absolutely blow your mind. So, yes, I could get worried about approaching the magnets' curie temperature during sustained high-output (assuming you have a really hefty amp for each VC and give in to the primal urge of seeing the driver do some full-excursion cycles at 20Hz).

Notice that the mags are placed as far from a direct connection with the pole as physically possible...

3. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

I guess if they're worried about overheating, they could always put in some metal
    pieces (non-magnetic) somewhere in there to wick away some of the heat......
    seems like there's plenty of room to add metal...lol

on the other note... i'm guessing Pe will be about 20kW? Pmax ~40+kW? lol

It's only a 3" VC, right?

4. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Just wondering if the parthenon motor has grooves in the pole piece... it doesn't
    look like it, but does it need it? Perhaps the air gap in between the two diff
    topplates is enough to warrant not needing it....

edit: nevermind... I see that there ARE grooves..... I just saw Bill F's drawing
    of the three tier motor and didnt see grooves...which got me interested....

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yes, I think Bill's motor was more in the scope of the more simpler "build it at home" potential motor.

And Bill... I had offered (posted on that thread) that I'd like to participate, however possible.
    Hopefully my post will show up over there.

And jeff... What were you discussing that required inductor, capacitor, and resistor part numbers? :D

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Oh yep, my post appeared over there.
    That's my concept for a high-excursion "surround".

7. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Interesting idea Geo. But do you think it would have a problem with puckering?

When Dan mentioned this sub to me a while ago, he mentioned that they hadn't figured out the surround yet. That was when I came up with an idea for a surround to allow a large excursion. Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]
    Basically think of two slinkies, one slightly smaller in diameter than the other. They will have a piece of stiff, airtight cloth going back and forth between them giving the picture shown above. This should allow huge excursion, and have the advantage of not losing any cone area in the surround. One problem is you would need a custom basket to use it. But this driver already needs a custom basket, so that is a moot problem. I think with some good ingenuity and engineering it would work great.

One downfall is that it has been done before a LONG time ago, so no patent is possible. But that also means no royalties needing to be paid either.

8. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I'd think intuitively looking at that, that the suspension compliance will increase as the cone moves toward the basket, while conversely the suspension resistence would increase as the cone moved outward.
    That would be the biggest difficulty I'd see there.
    Also, it would really make the cone stand way off the frame, to allow for 80mm of one-way travel, the cone would extend over 80mm (80mm plus whatever the minimum 'squished' dimensions of the surround were).

I don't know what Adire's going to be using, I can't wait to find out. B)
    I'll take some pictures, don't worry. :p