2 15's 0r 4 10'

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by chevan98, May 19, 2010.

1. eviling

eviling Full Member

yeah for the natural sound but if your front stage you get full suround sound :D haha

i like my 2 ways in the rear, and i knew i would when i put them in, but alota people would be annoyed by it, it can even create very annoying effects if your not carful in how you tune it. it limits you, but to me, the fuller sound is just awsome :D and if im outside my car showing it off with the doors open, you can hear it on the other side of town ^_^

2. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

Yea, I'm just going to put coaxials in rear. As far as the sensitivity level goes, the more the sensitivity the more efficent the speaker, and the louder it will play at a given power level right? My subs will be in the rear of van behind the rear bench. I have plenty of height to work with, probably four feet. I want to have two identical boxes stacked on top of each other, nothing fancy. That way if I get tired of all the bass I can easily remove one box and still have two tens. I didn't think of three twelves. I didn't have a clue how to wire it up. I'm running two J2 1000/1 amps and have no idea how to run three subs of two amps and have equal power going to each sub. I'm guessing I would just ru RCA"S from output to input on the amps. Is there any way to link two amps together so they act as one? I'm sure I will have to have all my settings just right on either amp. Thanks

3. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Yes you are correct about the sensitivity of the speaker. They are usually measured with 1 watt of power @ 1 meter. On the spec sheet it should say something like 86 db spl which means that the speaker will make 86 db with 1 watt of power, so you want that number to be higher. As for connecting the amps together, some you can (crossfire CFA1000d) I think its called "strappable" or maybe daisy chaining. I dont think you can do it with the JL's though but i'm not sure.

4. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

I did some checking the JL C5's are 89.5 db,and the C2 coaxials I want to get are 91. So i'm guessing the C2's will play louder at the same volume. I checked into all the other JL series and all of db are at least 91 or more. Looks like I might have to get a seperate four channel amp for the rear and just keep it turned down. That means I will have to get two amps. I was going to buy a four channel amp for the two front and two middle speakers, and the two in the rear I was going to power of the head unit, so that way I could just use one amp. as far as my sub amps go I'm going to need to join them together right using the preouts out. Or do I need to run seperate RCA"S. Is there a way to run three 12's off two identical amps and they all get the sme power??? Does anyone recommend buying different brand rear coaxials with a lower db rating. I was always told never to mismatch speakers.

5. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Really the difference between 89.5 and 91 is really nil, now if it were 86 versus 93 than there would be a big difference. You can always adjust the fader a little anyway. As for subs why dont you just get 2 15's dual 2 ohm, wire both at 1 ohm and put one each on the 1000/1's, you would be bangin 1000 watts of JL power to each sub, then get a 4 channel and maybe run the front and side on channel 1 and 2 @ 2 ohms and the far rear ones on channel 3 and 4, the front ones would be louder (you want this) cause they will be at 2 ohms and the rear ones softer cause they are at 4 ohms. Just an idea to throw your way.

6. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

That's a good idea, keep it simple. The guy at the audio store told me the same thing. As far as my sub amps go I don't need to join them together necesarly. I just need them to power each sub equally. Do I need to put a splitter coming off my head unit, and run two RCA's one to each amp, or can I just run one RCA and then run a RCA from one amp to another?

7. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

you can just take the rca and put a y connector and run it to both amps, make sure the gains are set exactly the same. Make sure your rca's are good quality, try knukonceptz.com they have awesome wires.