Xmas Nightmare --- Still On Going

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by The_Ancient, Dec 28, 2003.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

OMG, Parents should NEVER give kids electronics unless they know how to install them...

Ok, so my Parents buy one of those Pioneer CD/Speaker Combo Packs for my Sisters 96 Saturn...

I forgot (why I still dont know) to tell them to get the wire harness and kit

So my sister calls me todays and says best buy wants $70 JUST FOR THE INSTALL KIT :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (says $17.99 on their web site BTW :rolleyes: )

Now mind you I have planned on installing this for her tommorow on my day off, and was planning on a trip to cirucit city to get the metra kit in the morning so her trip to best buy was pointless anyway

But on to the good part....

Her Boyfriend, and his brother, in their infinate wisdom has convienced her they she does not need any kit or harness :rolleyes:

and she (who has never installled a stereo) is trying to tell me (who has 8+ Years installation experance, and have installed 100's of cd players) that I dont know what I am doing and that I dont need what I am saying I need :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

How they are going to Install a Single DIN CD Player in a Dual DIN (might be a DIN and 1/2) hole with not mounting kit is beyond me, and how they are going to figure out how to wire it up minus the installation harness is a true test of courge

Now before you start rambling, I know I could custom fab an bracket, ABS, Fiber or even wood, but come on $15 Metra Wins, Hard Work or $15 me say $15....

Now I know I can cut the harness Trace the Wires and lotta lotta lotta, but again, is that worth the $15 saving???? NO

ohh but the best part is THEY (her boyfriend and his brother) what to install it, them having virtually NO experance, and doing ti with out the basic installation kits,,,

Hell I wanted to get the Metra Smart Cables but I could not find them.....

Ohh Well, Another Christmas Horror for me....

One Day I will convently forget all my Knowelege, that way no one ever asks me to install everything for them

Mind you I still have a Alram, Remote start, and Stereo to install in my Truck

and I wonder why I never get anything done :blink: :lmfao:

2. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

just let them learn the hard way... when they mess it up, charge her to fix it. lol.

i stopped playing that game... if a friend or customer wants to do it themself and they mess up ... it ends up costing them double for me to fix and they wasted thier own time. i hate working on hack jobs.

3. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Heh, I know what you mean. Some day I will suddenly forget how to fix computers... I got other stuff to do after I get done fixing computers at work.

4. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Buy the metra kit and just wait.

Once they screw it up you know she will come back to you and she is your sister so you have to fix it.

5. ScottS

ScottS Full Member

IIRC right maybe it was a 97 + but that car needs a GM harness GM ant adapter and the kit that moves the radio down from where it is and puts the pocket on the top

6. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

The problem with that is they will probably cut out the factory wire harness so he won't be able to use the Metra harness anyway. Plus they will probably cut them too short causing another nightmare.

BTW Michael, if you need to know which wire is wich, I can find out for you. It will be much easier than metering all the wires and hoping that the speakers are all in phase.

7. Steven Kephart

Hahaha, I can't wait to see the duct tape holding the antenna in the larger hole and hoping both leads make a connection at least part of the time.

The antenna adapter is one part that they can't do the install without.

8. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I told her last night on the Phone, if they even Touch the Radio, dont bring it to me....

Call Best Buy, or Circuit City, maybe they can fix it,

We will find out, I have not talked to her since last night so I dont know what will happen

9. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

just think... when they bring you the car and they cut the antenna wire to rig it up... haha.. . thats a good one to fix.

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

And that's all you can say.

Just tell her "if you so much as cut a wire in the factory harness, it's ALL yours, I won't touch it... that's the wrong way to do it."

I'd care less about the dash kit... that would just be funny to see what they come up with :lol:

"Hey, a travel-Kleenex box is JUST the right size to take up the extra space below the radio... isn't that handy?" :lmfao:

11. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

eh just let 'em do it their way

when her headlights, gauge lights, horn, blinkers, and stereo don't work,

they'll be second guessing their engineer ways.

That how my brother learned........to not let me install teehehehe

course, I was 12. Amazing what 5 years of messups can do :)

Jeff

12. Fryguy

Fryguy Full Member

I don't install shit for nobody. I've convinced most of my friends that I don't know anything about car audio and "got lucky" that my single sub on 500 watts is louder than their pairs of subs with 1000+ :)

If you don't offer to help in the first place, no nightmare to worry about.

13. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

The problem with that is they will probably cut out the factory wire harness so he won't be able to use the Metra harness anyway. Plus they will probably cut them too short causing another nightmare.

BTW Michael, if you need to know which wire is wich, I can find out for you. It will be much easier than metering all the wires and hoping that the speakers are all in phase. [/b][/quote]
    I was speaking of the metra dash kit and not the wiring harness. I know that would be pointless.

Any updates on the situation Mike?

14. Steven Kephart

I should have deleted that part from my quote as that wasn't what I was commenting on. I was just meaning that to wait may cause extra work. That's all.

Dude, in one way it would be hard to cheer you on. Like if I said to support you "Go fugyaself!" it doesn't work. :D

15. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

:huh:

16. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Well I stinalled it today, they never messed with it so it went in fine

the only draw back was they got a AI kit from CC instead of the Metra I told them to get

I dont really like the AI kits but ohhh well