Xm

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Fused, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Fused

Fused Full Member

Anyone on here have satelite radio in there vehicle? I'm going to order my new HU (860mp) this week and thought about going ahead and getting the XM tuner while I'm in the buying mood. I've only heard it with the Delphi FM modualted unit on a factory system and it sounded pretty clean. Just wondering if it is actually close to cd quality on an aftermarket amped system? Any opinions on XM?

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I'd love it simply for the music selection, I get bored with CD's I buy after one listen.
    That's one reason I bought MP3 HU's for my cars (besides that it allows me to keep disks that aren't originals in my car, in a much more organized way).

It seems like a good thing, for $10/month. B)

3. ASM

ASM Full Member

I've had XM for quite a while now and I'm very happy with it. Like Geo said, the music selection is the best part. There is atleast one channel for anything you feel like listening to. I love XM Comedy for the longer drives.

While XM is not as good as CD quality, it is still pretty darn good and nothing to complain about. I can listen to a song on XM then pop in the CD and the CD is a tad cleaner and a bit more dynamic.

Right now I can't think of how long I've had XM, I think about a year and a half maybe.... but I've been very happy with it for both music selection and quality. I'll keep it until something better rolls out.

If it matters, I use a Alpine 7995 with the Alpine XM tuner.

4. Fused

Fused Full Member

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I was looking for some reassurance. A couple of my buddies that have it tell me all the want to do is ride around and listen to it all day.

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Exactly...
    Which is why I think I'd prefer that XM tuner that is a small box, that pops into a holder in the car for in-car use... and then you can pop it out and bring it into the office, into a little boom-box, or into your home, to pop into a holder for your home stereo.
    Seems like a good plan, that way you don't need to drive around all day to hear your XM either... ;)

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

just to let you know, next year alpine and a few other manufacturers will be offering "true" XM Ready units, NO ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED.