Wiring My 10s

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by CarAudioNub, Apr 13, 2012.

1. CarAudioNub

CarAudioNub Full Member

So between the Polk db122 12s and the 2 10s Pioneer premier subs, I decided the pioneer subs. My dad is selling his 2009 cobalt to me 8 months from now and the 12s would not be able to fit in the trunk :p

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Champion+Series+PRO/TS-W2501D2%7CD4

So my next question is, what amp would I need for these suckers?

I have a 3200 watt 4 channel pyle amp (can't find specs on. can get the model if need be, but i'm sure the wattage is overrated anyways.) that I've had for awhile when I first got into car audio. But, have not used it for a few months. Tested it out on my friend's jl audio's 12s and it pushed them as clearly as his jl amp. Surprisingly. So I think I will use this for the 10s. Will this work well?

I am using a kicker zx200.2 amp for my door speakers. Eventually, I'm going to put 6x9s in the back and will get a 4 channel amp for that. But for now, this is the amp running my door speakers.

Now my question is, and I've attempted research but not entirely sure, would I need a dual amp kit to run both amps of my battery? If so, what wiring would you suggest that is cost efficient? As in, no more than 50 bucks if possible. I can save for more if need be but I want to hook this up as soon as possible.

I have rca splitters for my headunit already so that's no problem. I just need to figure this next step out.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

with wiring, you want to get it right the first time. not skimp on it then spend more of your money on better. its just a waste of your time AND your money to have to do it twice.

with out knowing what amp your going to get for the new sub amp you plan on buying its hard to say what sized wire you should buy. but 50 bucks for now wont even cover the cost of just power wire needed, let alone the ground wire and the terminals needed.

just save up your money. you dont even have the other car yet. also to save some cash just run what ever rear speaker is in the cobalt now off of head unit power. and use what ever money you would have spent on good wire or a new sub amp.

what i have may work for you... i have true 4 gauge wire running to the back of my truck running to two rear mounted batteries (you can get away with just one). then from there i have 4 gauge to my 1200 watt sub amp and 8 gauge to my 4 ch 400 watt amp and 8ga to my 100 watt 2ch amp.

the power going to the rear goes to my batts first then to the amps. so its not stressing my wire or my electrical system too much. the wire charges my batts not tries to power the whole system.

or just wire up your 4 ch to your front speakers and subs.

3. CarAudioNub

CarAudioNub Full Member

I already own a car and I'm driving my 97 jeep grand cherokee. I just chose the 10 in subs because 12s would not fit in my dad's cobalt. Which I will eventually be purchasing. But that's besides the point lol.

I was wrong about the amp as well. It's not Pyle, but it's a Pyramid. I knew it was a lower brand anyways. I still can't find specs on it. It looks like PB67nhi, but I can't tell what the N actually is at it's faded. But I know it is 1600 watt 4 channel and 2 channel 4ohm bridgeable. As I said before, it pushed my friend's 2- 12"s jl audio subs just as well as his amp. Which was surprising. Pics were taken at 11 @ night because I've been busy all day. SO hope you can see them.

pyramid amp.jpeg
    PB-67NX1.jpeg
    amp stats.jpeg

Would I be able to use this amp for my 10s?

I also got a free capacitor pitched in. I've never heard of Voodoo, but nevertheless i cared for the subs and wasn't going to turn anything free down. It's a 1.5 24v capacitor... whatever that means. No clue how to hook this up either lol.
    voodoo.jpeg

1.5 farad 24v surge.jpeg

And okay sounds good. Save up for wire.

Will I need a second battery for all of this then, or are you suggesting it only for the reason that it would be for the wires' safety? Did you have all of this hooked up to the one battery? As in, there is no problem with putting several gauge power wires to one battery- to power 2 amps-?

And say I did wire the 4 channel to everything, wouldn't that be too much power for the door speakers?

I'm still a nubby at these things. Understand the basics, but that's about it. Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

before i had my 2 extra batts i did just have my system on one battery, but i had a less powerful set up.

once i got more power i got the batts. you might be able to get away with one battery for now. don't forget to do the BIG 3 as well. it will help.

that pyramid amp should run you 10s well if it ran your friends subs.