Wire and powering?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by chrisduckman, Apr 25, 2009.

1. chrisduckman

chrisduckman Full Member

OK quick question, if I had duel 4 ohm subs each with a max rms of 800 watts, what the maximum size class D mono amp I could buy to power these at the lowest impedance and max out put?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Here are some wiring diagrams (though they don't show a 2ohm load, but it can be done) to determine load. Conceivably you could run the biggest amp you can get as long as you keep the gains low. I would first decide how to wire the subs then pick an amp that matches the impedance (2 ohm would probably be the easier to find) and gives about 1000-1200 watts and not run the amp at full power.

3. chrisduckman

chrisduckman Full Member

ok man that helped alot. Just to make sure, you would take the tottal rms of both subs combined to find the amount of power need for an amp to push them wired in parallel at 1 ohm for the lowest impedance?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  4. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

If you go 1 ohm you will have to find a 1 ohm stable amp, not all are. To answer the question yes. Just add the RMS of both subs together and find an amp that pushes that many watts at 1 ohm or slightly more.

5. chrisduckman

chrisduckman Full Member

6. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

7. chrisduckman

chrisduckman Full Member

Just curiosue why only 1200 watts?

8. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

I said I wouldn't go crazy over 800. Now if you are kinda planning ahead say and you may get some high rms speakers in the future then go with 2nd one, but 1200 is plenty and gives you nice head room in case of upgrade. The 2nd amp you posted has an rms of 1400 watts according to PA's website so you aren't getting much more either way. Its really just what you want.

9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

as long as the power is clean. either sub will be fine with the extra power.