Wire and electrical set up?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DaveDSMer, Nov 10, 2006.

1. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

Ok its almost time to tear apart this car (Lincoln Mark VIII) and install all these new parts so its wire buying time. I am running a single amp (Eclipse XA5000) with 75watts @ 2ohm to front and rear speaker sets and right now running the sub channel @ 4ohm so about 300 watts but may set it up later for 2ohm @ 450watts. No caps. So you are looking at a total of 750rms wattage at full tilt. Now I know the eclipse amps are pretty efficient and this one is using class D circuitry so thats a plus. I plan on running 14ga wires to the front and rear speakers. 12ga wires for the sub channel. 4ga wire from the battery to the amp. Right now its got a 120amp alternator and I need to get a new battery.. may just go grab a Duralast Gold up at autozone or something. So is this wire set up ok for this power range? No I am not going to be upgrading this car anymore than that as far as audio goes. If i want bigger and louder it will be on the next car I get.

2. Willy D

Willy D Full Member

Dave....

I believe what you describe should be fine....You are gonna be around the same wattage as me (maybe even a little less) and that is the sizing of my wiring....I have ran this much wattage in the past with even smaller wire with no problems.....I think it should be fine....

Willy

3. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

great I wanted to make sure before I went ahead with it. I honostly don't trust many shops to help me out because of all the storeis ive heard.

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

16 gauge for the speaks will work fine...you don't need to go any bigger...there will be zero sound difference

5. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Yep , I agree......

As a matter of fact 18 gauge to your highs would be fine if you wanna cut cost. and 14-16 gauge would do ok for your subs.............( you wont hear a difference) but yes, 4 ga to the amp is a good thing and wouldn not go smaller

6. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

I do know the stock speaker wires are 22ga so that isnt going to cut it :p