Will these wires do the trick?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I got the 350-1100 Watt kit from Walmart. This is 4 gauge to my knowledge......I just need to know if this is a complete kit with everything I need.

It comes with:
    4-8 ga. power distribution block
    MAXI in-line fuse holder, with 80 amp fuse
    14ft. EFX2, 4 ga. power cable
    6 ft. EFX2, 8 ga. power cable
    4 ft. EFX2, 8a guage. ground cable
    17 ft blue remote wire
    24k gold platted connectors, and all neccesary hardware
    2 17ft. EFX2, interconnect cables with 24k gold plated RCA connectors

2 comp vrs powered by a cadence Z9000
    I know I need speaker wire.........anythign else?
    Will this hold? I was told my power cable and ground should be the same size but they are not

2. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

if you have 4 guage power....you need 4 guage ground too....that means at the battery too....so im told....infact....im going to get two 4 guage grounds for my battery....so that way my lights wont dim as bad....its like the sayin goes

'better safe then sorry'

but yeah especially at the amp...unless u want it ghetto rigged and more dimming....

since when did walmart sell a 1100 watt amp kit?!?

1100 watt amp...PEAK maybe...check the ratings....look everywhere...cuz if its peak...and u runnin loads of power....ur f*cked....literally

3. Alan

Alan Full Member

4GA is for the main run, and there's 8GA for short run from the distro block to the amps ;)
    read carefully!
    as far as wattage goes...... well, thats kind of a crappy way to rate a wiring kit in my opinion, since different classes of amps draw different amounts of current to put out their rated power..... 4G for an 1100 watt pyramid may not be sufficient for another amp with a lower rating....... What you really need to do when you look at wire sizes is refer to the chart they have that rates the wire size according to how much current it can supply...

4. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

yeah....what he said ;)

but eh.....buy a kenwood you geek! :p

5. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Its a 350-1100 Watts Max kit.

There is a chart in the back.......800-1100 Watts no matter what the distance is, it says to use the Kit I have.

Should I return this kit?
    I thought this Scosche kit was supposed to do the trick

6. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

take that junk back dood before you kill yourself....if you need REALLY cheap wires....look into ebay for 'audio pipe'...but look onto ebay period...

or zeb...*shruggz*

7. Alan

Alan Full Member

i'm not saying it will work or it won't......
    I don't even know what amps and whatnot you're running.......
    that sort of information is useful....
    i believe 4GA can handle a current flow of about 125A
    somewhere around there, i never took the time to memorize it all B)
    If you're drawing 100A or less, then your 4GA kit will be fine.

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

look at my post....im running to comp vrs of a cadence z9000.
    Thats 800W.
    I was told that Scosche is the way to go so I dont know why you are so biased towards these wires Audio Nut

9. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

enough said...

the one around here sells the cheapest and lowest end versions of explode and pioneer

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

enough said...

the one around here sells the cheapest and lowest end versions of explode and pioneer[/b][/quote]
    so does mine but here is a link you might want to look at: Same exact kit I have

Click me

11. Alan

Alan Full Member

you don't choose your power wire by the number of watts your amp is rated at....
    you choose your wire size based on the number of amperes your amplifier draws.

Whats YOUR current draw?

Tacos please

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

12. Shades9323

Shades9323 Guest

That amp kit from walmart will be just fine. It is basically the same as any other 4awg kit. Plus it is a good deal. Look at all you get. :D

13. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

14. Shades9323

Shades9323 Guest

That is a good kit. If you go with the walmart kit, you can just go to a local audio shop and pick up a couple feet of 4awg wire for your ground.

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Go to a local CA store and get a couple feet of 4 ga ground, or cut the ground in half, and use both halfs. That will make it 4 ga.

Thatt kit is a nice kit

16. Shades9323

Shades9323 Guest

It will also depend on how much power wire you need to get from the battery to your trunk. The kit on ebay has 5 more feet.

17. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

any idea on the price tag of that?
    How much is it per foot?

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Darn, beat me to it by a sec ;)

19. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

a buck or 2

20. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

my Civic is 14ft 7 inches long.
    14 feet should do the trick and have a little to spare.