Wifes car stereo sounds bad

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by iowabucks, Aug 15, 2010.

1. iowabucks

iowabucks Member

Hey everyone, my wife has an 05 Grand Am and i replaced all the stock stereo equipment a few years ago with decent but not top notch stuff. It has a Sony CDX-GT510 hu, Kenwood KFC-6960ie 6X9's in the rear deck and KFC-1080ie 4" door speakers.

First thing i did was go over all the EQ settings with the manual and couldn't find anything new there.

It doesn't sound too bad but i have always thought it should be better. If you fade/balance to one speaker at a time, i think it sounds terrible, all of them. But all 4 terrible speakers at once sounds acceptable. I got it from Crutchfield so i got the harness for the car. I soldered all the connections and used heat shrink everywhere. I have tore the car apart today to physically verify pos/neg connections to make sure they were not out of phase and everything is in line there.

I was laying in the trunk (no small feat for me @ 6'3" and 250lbs) and i noticed that (while unconnected) from both the positive and negative speaker wires it was showing power. Should i be seeing 12v on the negative wire too? Well, it was actually a test light and it lit up when i grounded both wires seperately. I know the basics about wiring but thats about it.

Why would one speaker at a time sound so weak with almost no range?

Hopefully i can figure out if it's just a lousy stereo or if there is something keeping it from reaching it's potential.

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I just replaced the battery in my car and had to reset everything, I did the same thing as you. when i faded to just the rt frnt or lft frnt it sounded like something was wrong, i guess its cause you only have 1 side going and your sitting on 1 side of the car. but when everything was back to normal it sounded great again. I dont think you have nothng to worry about.

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Huh?

DC power at the speaker wires? Well, it can happen I guess depending on the meter..

Not sure what is going on from what you have said, but my initial thought was out of phase speakers...you might double check that...the wiring at the radio may be correct...but is the wiring at the speakers correst?