Which Sub Is Better?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by MeRSC, Jan 8, 2004.

1. MeRSC

MeRSC Full Member

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

With as little info as DB Drive has on their site, I might stay away. The AV looks like a solid driver. I have heard good things about them. If I were to pick 1 of the 2, it would be the Stryke

3. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

I agree, I would like to think DB drive has decent woofers since Ive heard good stuff about them, however I find it very disconcerting that they dont publish anything about them. Try emailing them about the drivers to see if there is additional info available.

Iv alo been very interested in some stryke woofers, and with the available information, I would make them my coice of the two.

4. MeRSC

MeRSC Full Member

thank you for your input. are there any other 15" drivers you favor in this price range?

5. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

the RE SE15 is $199 before shipping. They have specs available. Look into them and see if they fit your needs.

You did not specify any information about your enclosure, sound preference, or power so its hard to make suggestions.

6. MeRSC

MeRSC Full Member

i was going to build the enclosure after i picked the sub, or keep the shoddy 15" one i have now.

i have a 720w@2ohms continuous power amp

sound preference would be equal SQ/SPL

what is the website/make of this re se15?

7. MeRSC

MeRSC Full Member

found the re se15's and i don't think they would work for my amp - they're only 350wrms-600wrms.

also since my amp is small, i was hoping to get 2ohm dvc's.

would you prefer the stryke av15 over the re se15?

8. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Still need to know more about your planned enclosure. Sealed? Ported? Size? Tuning?

I have no experience with the Stryke and I honestly do not know much about it. I have heard some SE15s in a wall before but have no real hands on or extensive listening time in on them. I just suggested you to check them out because of their price range and their comparable wattage intake with the Stryke.

9. MeRSC

MeRSC Full Member

don't you just build the box after you find the sub you like?|

10. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Yes but you have to have some plans.

Are you going sealed or ported?

How much room do you have to work with?

If going ported what kind of frequency response do you like? As flat as possible? Somewhat peaky? Lots of peak?

You say you want equal SQ and SPL. This doesnt mean much. to me. What are some setups that you have heard that you enjoyed? Have you heard something that you want it to sound like? Sound better than? In what way? Louder than? Better sound quality?

There is no best sub. The enclosure is just as important as the sub. You can make an awesome sub sound crappy and/or not loud in a crappy enclosure. The sub you purchase should fit your needs in the enclosure you need it to be in.