Which sub do you guys prefer more?

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by DSM/137dbs, Feb 22, 2006.

1. DSM/137dbs

DSM/137dbs Full Member

Well Im happy with my respctibale 137dbs @ 44hz tone, But Im a guy, face it I want more. So I was thinking of running (2) 15'' Alpine type R's, or (2) 15'' RE Audio XXX's, or (2) Kicker )2006 model L7's. Let me know what you guys think. Oh by the way, the box is 5.5Cubic feet, ported at 33 Hz, Ill be using the same box no matter which subs you choose.

2. Attack Eagle

Attack Eagle Full Member

hmm. Not so much an spl guy, but I was never happy with the performance of the Kicker L7s from an SQ standpoint.
    that cone noise, and ability to play at high distortion without dying, probably helps them achieve higher SPL numbers than the Alpines. I have never heard the other brand mentioned.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  3. macdaddy99gst

macdaddy99gst Full Member

if you want good subs look into MTX , or Eclipse .. i've seen one 10 8500 mtx take out the L7 12 .. after that i give respect to the mtx .. but for real look into those two .

4. Streetz

Streetz Full Member

Well, in my personal opinion, I would go with neither. Why? Easy, I'm not a fan of 15"s, unless there's just one and is leveled out with 2 10"s.

If you want more, I would go with a competition company, don't want too much go with the lower end subs. SPL, AudioBahn, MTX, JL to name some obvious few. I'm assuming that you do realize that just because you have 2 15", doesn't mean it's going to be louder and hit harder then 10" or 12".

Before jumping to some subs, you should think about what you want from them. How much bass are you looking for, how loud do you like it, how clear do you want it, what's your trunk space, what lifetime from the subs are you looking for, along with other variables. Hope I was some help.

On a side note: Why the hell do people have to steal my avatar. Get your own! Now I gotta find/make a new one.

5. DSM/137dbs

DSM/137dbs Full Member

This much I odviously understand, I have been competing in SPL compatitions for quite some time now. MTXs are good subs but I could get 1 good 15 for the price of one good MTX 9500. A bit to expensive for not much performance In my eyes.

6. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme New Member

i think the re xxx's are ur best bet. i'm amazed u have enough power already to power those bad boys, or would u have to get a new amp? but 2 15" XXXs would probably get u in the 140s especially in the box that u've described.

7. clipser-gs-t

clipser-gs-t Full Member

I'm an alpine guy myself, but i heard those l7 15's have major bass.

8. n8_the_Gr8

n8_the_Gr8 New Member

9. NeverwaY

NeverwaY Full Member

I think it's pretty obvious on which subs i prefer.

10. clipser-gs-t

clipser-gs-t Full Member

Yeah have you seen that Cerwin-Vega Durango? Like 6 15's. I saw it at a car show, they poured water on the roof, and pounded that system, water drops jumping a foot in the air off the roof.

11. Tony M

Tony M Full Member

Cerwin-vega, or Rockford

12. Attack Eagle

Attack Eagle Full Member

1 solo x...

The end. If that in a hatch isn't loud enough, you need new ears.

13. JMlzT

JMlzT Full Member

If you have the amplifier power, you should get the XXX subs; they'll get good & loud and have good sound quality.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  14. gitguy07

gitguy07 New Member

ok im kind new to subs but i have heard a couple. my friends got a w7 and it shakes his car. I have heard that JL is really nice but theamount of money is high. Is there sumthing better for the money. i dont know how 2 12' type Rs would fare aginst his w7 or what else should i consider that would be just as good i am looking at a budjet of maby a lil over 2 g's need some help and suggestions and again im new 2 this stuff so system lingo im not getting lol please some one help me out thanks

15. Jeffc879

Jeffc879 Full Member

i have already dropped the pierce audio products bit, but if you want a badass 15 i would go with 2 wmd 15's. they have almost 3" p-p excursion and the sq is great. 300 each and you wont be sorry. L7's are junk.