What To Do For Front Stage?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kennyg, Jul 11, 2004.

1. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

OK, as I've said, I bought a new car, I got a 1984 olds delta 88, and it only has 3.5's in the dash, and 6x9's in the back. Once I actually get the front stage taken care of, the rear's will be removed for good, but, for right now, they have to stay, because they are the only speakers that actualy work. Now, I have a pair of CDT CL-61a comps, but, I refuse to cut the doors, or do anything to damage the interior, because this car really is in that good of condition. Now, I was thinking of doing a pair of 4" comps or coax's in the dash, in the place of the 3.5's, then doing a single mid in the center console, like maybe a 6 or 7" mid? how would that work? Would that end up sounding good, or no? Or would I need to still have 2 6 or 7" mids to keep my proper soundstage. This is almost like converting into 3 way comps, I just dunno what I can do, and be able to get it to sound as loud as I want them to because I want my front stage to scream, but I know I can only do so much. If anybody has any idea's, please lmk. Thanks.

2. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

If you have room I would go with some fiberglass pods on the floor. Probably the best way to do it.

3. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

You dont want a mono midbass or midrange. That is a big no-no. If you are that against cutting the doors I would either go to the junkyard and try to find more door skins or do some pods.

4. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

I don't want kick panels, either, cause I'd step on them either way. I guess I'm just going to have to stick with 4"er's Oh well.

5. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

Why shouldn't I run a single mid?

6. ASM

ASM Full Member

The point of stereo is having two separate channels (left and right in our case). Your midrange and highs will be separated but your midbass, which is directional, will not. This will completely ruin any separation in the music; not only messing up the stereo effect but just making it sound very strange IMO.

Since midbass is direcitonal, it will probably feel like your midbass is coming from the middle of your car while everything else is coming from the outsides. Yes, very strange indeed.

If you totally refuse to do anything to the doors and no kicks, then I suppose you are stuck with the 4's.

I've never actually done a mono midbass myself, but that is what I beleive would happen... could be wrong though.

7. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Well the main thing is it will screw your image up tremendously. When recorded there is a stage set up with each instrument at a certain spot. So the left mid plays completely different from the right. With a mono midbass/range you wont have the distinction.

8. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

ok, I just ordered these components, they are probably going to be the ebst I can get for the money, and, hopefully, they'll sound alright. But, I think I'm going to need to run some sort of rear fill,a s it does sound strange right now faded to the front, but, I'll decide that later, after the comps are in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Now, I'm probably gonig to run the full 100 watts rms to these, but does anybody have ANY experience with them? do they actually play even a little bit of mid-bass? No big deal if not, whatever. I'll have all my stuff hooked up this weekend, hopefully, (with the exception for those, but I'll have the wire run for them at least.

Oh, btw, this is great - the speakers I found in the dash, that turn on and off with teh bumps, are, you guessed it - THUMP!!! 3.5's

9. kennyg

kennyg Full Member

I got the mids, they are awesome!!! just need to cross them over, and get tweets,a dn it'll be awesome
    lol