What makes you go boom?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Aug 31, 2002.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

What do you have in your ride now? Are you looking for SQ or SPL? % sq/spl may be required here as well. How do you feel about any and all of the components in your ride? What would you change?

I love all the equipment in my car. I feel the Brahma just pounds, and displays some of the most remarkable SQ I have heard. I am glad I have chosen the Z7000 to power the beast to it's full potential in the small sealed emclosure that houses it (.93 feet).

The US55s are really a sweet set. I love the tweeters acuracy and mellow tone. I really do want to find a better high end set but I am seeming to have problems suiting my taste for tweets. Midbass is quite ideal, most impressive from a set of 5.25s.

The Q3000 I have powering the US55s is adequate. It is rather powerful, and does the job pretty well. I felt the Digifine KS-AX704 I had seemed to produce a warmer feel overall, but I am fairly pleased with the unit.

The 740MP.... Great unit. I don't think I could find a better unit for the money. The front stage settings on the unit allow my to place the stage at eye level in the car from stock locations. BlkX leaned foreward in the car and said it sounded as if the sound came from the dash, rather than the pods. I still don't know if he believes I have the high mounted tweets disabled. He looked at me as if I were crazy when I told him that :p

I am an SQ guy, but I love to get loud as well. I will suffer all SPL to get a high quality SQ install, but fortunately the Brahma keeps both SQ and SPL levels high. I am considering a pair of Z777Ds to power a pair of Brahmas. Unfortunately the Z7000X2 may just require a bit more power than I have to feed them :p . Would I trade the Brahma for anything else? FUCK NO!!!

I love the front stage but I am intrigued by the new Adire set coming out. I have a feeling I will give them a go with a new Z series Cadence amp when they are released. Sadly my attempts to get some ADs have gone largely ignored and my disapointment in the dealer has led me away from the ADs and the dealers site overall.

The HU? If I had more $ to spend I would step up to the 940. I think the look of the unit is more refined, and it looks heavy duty, however I find the additional features it has far less desireable than the additional cost compared to the 740.

Ok, I'll add pics. The second Brahma pic shows the new speaker cable I had to run...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by sandt38 at Sep 2 2002, 12:11 AM

2. bigsexxxy69

bigsexxxy69 Full Member

Im a 60/40 spl/sq kinda guy. Even though I have my 9515 in an 8ft^3 box tuned to 45hz it still retains great sq IMO. Id love to try different setups with different subs the only problem is money. There are alot of different subs I would liek to give a go. Personally Id like to find my self another car to do my spl setup in, I have fun putting up the numbers :D then I can focus on more of an sq setup in my explorer and get back some of my cargo space lol. Im running coax's for mids and highs right now and Id like to get a set of comps, looking at the dd6.5's with vifa xt25 tweets or maybe the new adire comps coming out and put them in some custom kick panels that Ive been wanting to try making. Here's a pic of my latest box
    [​IMG]
    And here is my baby
    [​IMG]

Last edited by bigsexxxy69 at Sep 3 2002, 12:18 PM

3. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Ummm, in my car i have the following.

Sub: Nothing
    Sub Amp: PG zx350
    Component set: soon to be nothing for a couple weeks i think. For now Crystal CPe-60t
    Component Amp: PG zx200
    HU: As of this week it will be nothing for a few days, or maybe a week or two. Its up in the air
    Other Stuff: PG PLD-1, Audio Control EQX

Im subless because i smoked my Boston pro. I'm waiting on my e12k to ship. I'll be without my crystals because im gonna ship them out for repair or replacement. I may use a set of MB Quarts till i get them back. I sold my HU on ebay. I'll get another very soon hopefully.

Up until my sub blew, i was pretty satisfied with my setup. I dont think the crystals can be beat for the money. The boston pro 10" sub i was running is the best SQ sub i've heard to date honestly, and it got plenty loud for an SQ oriented sub. I was using an alpine CDA-7875 HU, and i loved it to death. BUT, i need MP3 playback. Gotta have!@

The only amps i've ever owned are PG, and Alpine. I love PG, and i plan to stick to them till there's a reason not to.

I'd say im about 80/20 SQ/SPL. I'm SQ to the heart, but sometimes i like a little extra bass.

Pic added by sandt38...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by sandt38 at Sep 2 2002, 12:17 AM

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I'll get that Shiva enclosure done for you tomorrow Courtney. You can use it till you get the Edsigns. By the way, I got an E15K install coming up next weekend, Wanna hear them?

5. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

hey, i might be shipping out my HU early this coming week, and im not sure when i'll have my new HU. So, im not sure how much of a rush i'm in to get that shiva in. It's all depending on when i get my new HU. If i dont get it when i expect it, i'll be without an HU for a few days, and thus have no use for a sub. We'll talk. I really would like to ride around with that thing a lil bit though just to get a feel for something different.

6. kbog

kbog Full Member

I have the complet stock BOSE system still in my RSX-S. I have added the BP600.1 and a Diamond M5 10" which I have had great luck with.

I recently purchased the e12kd4 and have a box in the initial stages.

I am reluctant to replace the HU even though I KNOW I should. It looks great and the 6 disc changer is a pleasure. Also, it will NOT distort even at it's highest volume. The thing is, that volume is not very loud.

The sound is not great by any means. I have little mid-bass, so my stage is too far back due to the sub. My highs are poor even with separate tweets. Overall, the sound is sort of "squeezed" like it is coming through dixie cups. Uhg. Money is tight. Wife does NOT understand my love for the hobby. I'm not sure I do either, but I can't change it.

I plan on having this car for a while due to the fact that I LOVE the car. By the time I get rid of it, maybe I will have worked the system enough to really make me smile...

7. trifle

trifle Full Member

kbog, put something up like uhmmmm curtains, bedsheets, whatever just some standard ugly ones that don't go with the flow of the house at all....then when your wife asks what the hell you were thinking....explain to her that's how it is with stereos, sure the plain ugly ones work, but ehhhhhhhh.....

8. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

Im an SQ guy without a doubt. Comes from being brought up in a house where my father builds real expensive home systems and is EXTREMELY particular about quality. I also like to be able to be LOUD when someone gets in my car. Unfortunately SQ impresses very few, SPL is what impresses people. You can have the sweetest install in the world and have perfect SQ and some retard will get in your car and go "man is that all?? I can get that bass out of a pair of 6x9's"

I have 2 Jl 12w3's in a slightly large(I like em like that) 1.65 cube a piece box I made myself running off a Cadence Z9000. I have a Pioneer Deh-p6300 HU. I have focal 6 1/2" componants going into door pods IF I ever finish them(Im really trying!) They will be run off my Cadence Q3000 thats been hooked up and waiting in my trunk for like 2 months now. As far as install goes, right now its pretty basic, but in a couple months its gonna rule. Im going to make cases for the amps and hide all wiring. Im adding loading panels and blue neon to the subs. My whole interrior will be done in black fur and gray vinyl(my last car was done in tiger fur) See pics below of my current install, my old interrior and a link to my pods

pods
    http://www.lynns-place.com/stba/linkto/index.html
    install
    [​IMG]

My new car will be like this, but all black fur
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by The_spacemonkey at Sep 2 2002, 04:50 AM

9. HU: Clarion HX-D10
    Front Components: Oz Audio Matrix 180cs
    Front Amp: US Acoustics 2150
    Sub: Brahma 12 1.2 cube net box
    Sub amp: Cadence a7hc

On Order: Monitor 1 in dash eq/ linedriver/ x-over/ subwoofercontrol

I love my system now, just need to clean up the install.

But I still cant help but be curious about these adire componets. I am going to make my friend get some, so I can play with them.

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

:blink:

That's alot of power for that big box. I hope you set everything right...

Interested though...
    Could you review those Oz? From an sq standpoint. What dome material and do you have a link? I've seen that insane Oz Pyramid amp before and I suspect that is quite a nice set.

11. syntekz

syntekz Full Member

sandt, thats a lot of power. Just curious why you mentioned it? You've got me worried now about my box and the amount of power I'm going to be running through it. :unsure:

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

You're ported. Bottoming should not be an issue with you. No fears.

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Oh, keep you tuning low for daily, and only use the comp port for comps. Below tuning you will lose cone controll. Not good. I wanted to add that, soory for the double post.

14. syntekz

syntekz Full Member

Should I have my subsonic filter on my amp set to anything in particular?

15. The box is only like 1 cube net. I checked with WINISD PRO 1400 watts(wont happen with my electrical system) at 20 hz in one cube box would be about 50 mm of p-p. I know thats a little inaccurate, but it still leaves some leway. Also I am very carefull with my baby.

Sure I can try and write something up for you guys about the oz.
    The tweets are a silk cotton blend
    Here is a link http://www.ozaudio.com/oz/oz_prod_speak1_180.shtml

16. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Tuned to 33Hz, Set it to 25-30Hz.

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Looks very nice. Interested in dispersion, siblance, accuracy, comparisons (XRs maybe?) Output, midbass, et. al.

I love that amp. I had to look when I was on their site...

18. Well, I dont think I can do a very good review on these oz's, because I have had limited experience with other component sets.

I did a/b these speakers with diamond hex 6.5 components(silk domes), and I liked these much better. The vocals seemed much more real to me.

The midbass is really nice IMO. Put some blueman group through these puppies, and you'll know what I mean.

In my setup I had to attenuate the tweets. Partialy because I dont like the loud high sounds and partially because of the location (much closer to me than the midbass).

The x-overs look really nice to me, but then again i dont know much. I am almost sure that it uses mylar caps and air core inductors.

Sorry never heard XR's went to the dealer was thinking about buying some. They put me in a car with VR's I was like WTF.

19. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Shame, I love XRs and the VRs just don't compare. Even on a wall you can get a good idea of how wide the dispersion of the tweeter is, and the accuracy of the metal dome. Couple that with the smoothness of the rubber surround, efficient accurate mids, and you have a serious competitor. This lends to a smooth mello fairly neutral sound, with little siblance, yet just the slightest hint of a muddy undertone. This is really an A1 set, one of my top choices, and the set in particular I was hoping you could compare to.

Is the tweeter in an on axis or off axis install? Typically silk tweets tend to be a narrow dispersion tweeter, but I noticed the off axis placement of the rainbow pros really led to tremendous SQ gains... If it is an on axis install, you may consider a more off axis install. This means you could reattenuate and maybe add some accuracy to the highs in this set...

20. Right now its off axis, but I am planning on redoing the install.

Yeah I wanted to hear the XR's, but the JL dealer kinda jerked me around, I wish i had gotten to hear them.

IMO you gotto go with what you have heard yourself, but these are worth a listen if possible IMO.