What If...

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Snausages01, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

What If....

Instead of putting a second batter under the hood I put it in my center console and wire evrything up directly and i would have a great gound since thats where im planning on running all my d and f blocks....just kind of a rought thought i need to elaborate on it more but you think that would look good? I have a prety big conseol in the f-150 and i was planning on puttin two sheets of plexi inthere and running all the ground wire on one and all the power on another, but what if i put the batter in there and still had two layers of plexi in there with a cut out around the batt and ran power on one sheet and ground on another kinda like layers the ground would be on the bottom sheet and the power on the top and just kinda laid the wires and ran them around the bat with a neon on each side to light it up...what ya think?

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I highly suggest against that. The risk of battery explosion for one, corrosive acid for another, or the sulfating of the battery that I assure you will occur eventually (try showing off to some chick in your truck with the smell of rotton eggs ).

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

You definitely would need an Optima-type battery for this, a sealed cell battery.

Batteries can emit toxic gasses... that's one reason you don't see manufacturers putting them in car interiors.

They do emit toxic gasses particularly when there are high current-draws on them, which is why especially in a high-powered car audio application this is a bad idea, and why in fact there are rules in IASCA (and other audio competition governing bodies) highly controlling how batteries can even be installed in a trunk... generally mandating that they be in some sort of sealed compartment of their own, vented to the exterior of the car. If you can do that, this plan might work out! And I would still use the sealed-cell battery type.

4. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Interesting...I did know you werent supposed to put regular batteries inside the car but i thought the yellow tops were ok to do this. Are they not? Also, if there are rules against this in IASCA then I think I will stay away from this idea, for the chance that I may one day compete.

Well I was thinking that if it was safe to do and if I could fit everything in the center console and light it up I think it would look good. But I guess its not worth having toxic fumes in the cab of my truck :D

So I guess I may re think this idea...was just trying to think of something differnt that ya dont see every day.

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Optima's (and their Interstate yellowtop and redtop twins) are sealed batteries...
    And I also believe that they would be fine in an application like this...
    But I don't KNOW...

And while I believe that that IASCA rule doesn't make exceptions for "Optima type" sealed-cell batteries because they don't want to deal with all the exceptions that might shake out of that one, I don't KNOW that is the only reason...

Possibly these batteries emit some gasses too, I don't know.

But you could still build it into your center console, as long as it was in it's own little sealed chamber in there, with a tube venting it to the outside.. just a little hole through the floor or something possibly?

I just wouldn't build it in there without meeting IASCA's specs, if for nothing else but to play it safe..
    Better safe than sorry! ;)

6. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Yes I think I'll play it safe and I'll probably just go under the hood I dont really want to take any chances with my health or pasangers health or take the chance of gettin DQed at IASCA. Plus I may not have the room to do the way I want to. And I should have no problem going under the hood, the guys ar my shop said they had a box built in an Expedition for two batteries, plus I've seen a lot of install under the hood with two batteries with no problem.

Didnt realize batteries were so complicated :p

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

have you ever seen a battery explode?

I bet not, if you had you sure would not be wanting one next to you in the car :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

8. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

lol :eek: ..no I havent bug good point :D :D :D