What Could Cause This?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, May 7, 2004.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

2 of my friends attempted to install their own systems and they got the same results. Only one sub was firing. The first kid's system is quiter then when he had the subs hooked up to his HU and the second kid's system was sounding fine with one sub playing and then his amp's fuse blew out.
    What usually causes only one sub to play?

2. texcon

texcon Full Member

What subs are being used? What amps are pushing the subs? How are the subs wired?

BTW, pushing subs off a HU seems kind of crazy, doesn't it?

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I am going to take a stab at this one

Something was not hooked up Right :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Am I helpful or what?????

4. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I told them straight up that it wasnt wired right but I was hoping you guys would know the specific problem

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

For the one sub not firing either a channel on the amp is blown (if its a two channel amp.) the sub is blown or loose/bad wire.

For the quiet problem it definatly sounds like the sub is wired incorrectly/to small power or ground wire for the amp/shitty amp.

Could really be anything

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

with more information I can tell you anything.........................

7. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Thats all the info I have, and I dont care enough to find out the rest....lol
    I dont think they would be able to tell you what they did anyways, so its all good.

8. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I will tell you, in the 5 years I sold Car Audio In the Internet, I only had ONE return that was a true Manufactuer Defect, the rest were all Install Related or User Error ;) ;) ;)

9. superman

superman Guest

Check RCAs, try different RCAs
    Test sub impedance (make sure it isn't melted)
    Use test speaker connected to same output on amp to see if it plays the test speaker, if it doesn't and everything else checks out, you probably have a bad channel on the amp.