What Causes A Subwoofer To Get Louder When...

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by objext, Sep 23, 2004.

1. objext

objext Full Member

I'm curious to learn what would cause a sub in an enclosure in the trunk to get louder at a given volume level when the doors or windows are opened.

Box volume issue? Port issue? Enclosure position/firing direction?

Any insight?

2. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Cancellation. When the windows are down or the doors are opened, most of the waves go out the window instead of bouncing off the windshield and cancelling each other out.

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

correct, however Changing Box placment and/or firing Direction can Elminate most or all of that..

in Sedans, the Best place is Rear Firing and 2-3inchs from the BACK, NOT up against the rear seat like I see most people having it ;)

4. objext

objext Full Member

Yeah, the problem with that is then you lose all usable trunk space with it near the back.

My box doesn't lend itself very kindly to changing positions in my trunk :\

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well life is not fair

personally I never ever put anything in my trunk if I have a stereo, I spend tooo much money on it to have ti damaged because of something I am putting back there..

it is a trade off, like everything in life......

6. SteamHammer

SteamHammer Full Member

Cancellatin can have something to do with it but that doesn't explain how I can roll down my windows about 0.5" and the bass goes up. The amount of sound waves reflecting on that small piece of glass is minimal at the most. It acutally has more to do with the fact that the cabin of your vehilce is itself a box and when you roll the windows down, even slightly you are porting the box. I've tested this using my sunroof as well. If I just crack the back of it, I get a small bump in bass yet there is little or no loss of surface aread for bass reflection.

I do agree that you should move your sub around in your trunk to find the best spot for your car. For some strange reason my Saturn SL2 shows little differnce no matter where I put the sub. But in Theory, michael is correct that the best placement for minimizing cancellation is with the sub against the back of the trunk firing away from you.

7. objext

objext Full Member

Yeah, I pretty much came to that same conclusion. I'm therefore not convinced that just moving my box will do anything...

8. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

what makes sound?

What are you doing when you Open a Window, even a Little Bit?

and no your not "porting your box"