Went Back To 6th Ave

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Yup, I finally went back to 6th ave to:

1) Have my deck rewired
    2) Mount my amp farther from the back, to allow me to set the gains
    3) Set the gains

He took the RCA's out of the rear outputs and stuck them in the Sub output where they belong. I can tell right away the the bass no longer looses its loudness when you set the HPF filter. Now the LPF filter corresponds with the sub, lol.

It turns out my gains were set to max and that is why my sub was pounding its little heart out at moderate volumes. My Sub-W feature has a use now, so thats good.

We set the gains to be about 3/4.....the bass is a lot quiter but blends better with the highs and mids. Im not sure if I like this, Im so used to having my sub just pound away at my chest at lower volumes. The sub still gets loud I just have to crank it to 19 and higher to start seeing its potential.

My setting right now are:
    HPF 80, LPF 80
    Bass at 0, B.Width 2, Freq 60
    Treble at 0, 12.5 Freq

Gotta go back to writing my paper........... :ranting:

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

and now we know there was nothing wrong with the CompVr and that guy is just BRAIN DEAD

3. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Not brain dead just a big MONGOLOID lol......and a lil brain dead

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Read up on this stuff and start to do some of your installs yourself...... I'm sure you could do a better job than he's done so far anyway.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

No shit. If that guy's shit needed to be corrected that much, I would highly reccomend you NOT ever return there again. I don't care if there is a lifetime warranty on the install, judging by the shit you have said about it so far, the way he installs it should considerably limit the "lifetime" of the equipment itself. What a dick stain that guy is.

Dude, I mean we are seriously here to help you know.

6. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I always wanted to do things myself I just never felt like experimenting on my car thats all

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

yea, that is one of the reasons I got out of selling online, Customers buy stuff, installer screw it up, and then want me to replace it........................... :rifle: :rifle: :blow:

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

yea, that is one of the reasons I got out of selling online, Customers buy stuff, installer screw it up, and then want me to replace it........................... :rifle: :rifle: :blow: [/b][/quote]
    ouch :lmfao:

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

not talking to you directly, there have been others like you, more direct though...

Situations where it was plainly the installers fault,

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Hehe

Can someone link me to Totoros page... I want to read the article about setting gains

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Here.

I linked all the worthwhile information (including totoro's land of yummy sushi) there. Do yourself a favor and download the CD he has there, as well as printing the directions. As vast and simplified as the information is, even a total noob can set gains properly. And you are definately not a noob with all the time you have spent on these forums.

Plus, consider this, with all the help you would be getting on here alone, you would be doing considerably less "experimenting" than that frikken clown at 6th Failure did on your car. If you have a question, you know where to come. Dude, unlike a couple places I know of, your questions will be respected and you will not be made a fool of here on my watch. I assure you of that.

Take some initiative and ask some questions. We have enough very smart people and very good installers amoung this crowd to help guide you to a considerably better install than it appears you have already recieved.

12. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Thanks a lot Seth, I appreciate your help and the help of everyone else on this forum.

I have decided that anything caraudio will be done or atleast attempted to be done by me.

First I have to sound deaden my car and do the gains myself.

13. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Alright! Thats what I want to hear! :D

14. trifle

trifle Full Member

yeah man, gotta start doin ya own installs, it really is easy...some basic knowledge and some screw, board, and wire connections basically....just a lil handiwork n a lil knowledge will get you goin good...

i mean, you can't own a race car and let someone else drive it....you can't have a wife n let someone else tap it...why have an audio system n not do it your way? :p

15. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Terrible analogies but a well made point.

:p

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Absolutely, I consider DIY a must...

Just use your common sense.
    Try to examine things, make sure they make sense in your head before you start running down some road... don't try to force things, look before you leap, etc.

You might have some sort of fear of touching your car...
    I have the opposite fear... of letting someone ELSE touch my car!

Someone else doesn't have as much concern about my car... it's in, it's out, and it's gone out of their life. I'm the one who lives with it.

Likewise, I want the install to meet my personal needs, not someone else's.

The most important point is that car audio is expensive enough, buying the equipment.
    Paying someone else is not only ultra-expensive, but it's also insulting, IMO, to the car audio community as a whole, who takes pride in their knowledge, rides, and work.
    After all, you are paying someone else, so that THEY can have something to be proud of... all that opportunity, and it's someone ELSE'S pride.
    You can't have pride in someone else's work.
    You can't have pride in signing a check over.. when the DIY guy kept that money, and used it to take his girl on a little vaca somewhere.

Glad to see the Car Audio Jedi are converting people back over from 'the dark side'!!!
    :starwars:

17. trifle

trifle Full Member

Terrible analogies but a well made point.

:p [/b][/quote]
    yeah i realized they kinda sucked, but the lettin someone else tap ya wifey drives the point home :bye: