well i just got off work...and i have a new prob.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Audio Nut, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

well i got home and i realize when i idle my headlights and inside lights....everything dim...but when i step on the gas even the slightest bit they go bright.....wtf is the problem...i guess its the battery i dont know what to do now...

im getting all the wires upgraded this weekend....will everything last long??? what do i do???

2. Audio Nut

Audio Nut Full Member

ok...well i realized that its only when im idling whether...im in park...reverse...or drive...that it does it...also i do remember that High Output Alternators have very low output@idle....but i mean...everything goes pretty low...i dunno im really scared im gonna screw something up....is it possible i fried the wires going from my alt to my battery??? it never did that before....

also my car idles between 500-700 rpms(which is a little low i think)

im really scared imma fry something...people say it cant be the battery because after the car is started the power goes straight to the alt...

is the alt bad???i dont think it would be....everyone raves about dominicks alts...someone please help me before i take all the shit out and go back to a stock radio:( :blowup:

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

you need to find out what the alternator puts out at a given RPM, Like I said before

it is very possible that while that Alternator my give out 180amps at 2500rpm, if may only give off 50amp at 500rpm which could be LOWER than your stock alternator

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yep, i agree. And 5-700rpms at idle does seem quite low. I believe mine's 12-1500rpms at idle.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Yep, i agree. And 5-700rpms at idle does seem quite low. I believe mine's 12-1500rpms at idle. [/b][/quote]
    Idle specs for your truck are 750 give or take 100 RPM Chris.

The #s you indicate are close to reccomended spec for all cars. The magic 3 will make a big differance. What you are experiancing is typical of high output alts, and it is the main reason I opted to go with a second battery and true isolator setup, rather than upgrading my current (rather beefy for stock) alt. No issues about burning up the alt wire, or the car would not run/charge ;) .

Do the magic 3.

6. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Idle specs for your truck are 750 give or take 100 RPM Chris.

The #s you indicate are close to reccomended spec for all cars. The magic 3 will make a big differance. What you are experiancing is typical of high output alts, and it is the main reason I opted to go with a second battery and true isolator setup, rather than upgrading my current (rather beefy for stock) alt. No issues about burning up the alt wire, or the car would not run/charge ;) .

Do the magic 3. [/b][/quote]
    Shows ya what i know :stupid: :D