Welding Wire

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by rprong, Dec 14, 2003.

1. rprong

rprong New Member

I was just wondering if anybody has used very thick welding cable before. I can get some 1/0 up to 4/0 cable. How many watts do you think 4/0 cable would allow you to have?

2. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

From my very general understanding, it shouldn't be much different than your average 1/0 power wire. Its generally not as flexible i hear, and the insulation isn't as thick.

3. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

there is a little mentioned alternative to welding wire when looking for a cheap source of 1/0....heavy duty battery cable

i purchased mine at a heavy duty truck/tractor repair facility...it is oil resistant, has a 4700 strand count(which makes it extremely flexible and also puts it right next to the audio grade 1/0)...cost me 1.20 a foot...the only downside is it comes only in flat black

4. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Unless purchasing locally after shipping from most places welding wire and connectors will be just as expensive as a whole amp kit from ebay.

I remember someone awhile back bought welding wire and said that it was more flexible than the car audio cable he purchased. I suggest going to a local welding supply store and testing the flexibility and see if it meets your needs.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

^^what they said. Differing grades of welding wire will have differant strand counts, so it can be had as flexible, and even more flexible then, CA wire...

4/0 will handle as much as you can put on it. 10,000 class D watts should be easily and safely fed with it running the length of a Blazer.

6. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

not sure if this is relevant, but the cheapest power wire ive come across from an actual car audio store is www.knukonceptz.com
    $2.25 for 1/0 gauge with "5145 Tinned Strands of Pure Oxgren Free Copper" in almost any color you could want, they even have many with 2 colors in the insulation
    -Cody

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

www.weldingsupply.com

I here Kruptz QC leave little to be desired, but I have never used them and probally never will