Wattage question

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by Mysterio505, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Mysterio505

Mysterio505 New Member

I have 2 10" MTX road thunder subs (400w each) and i was running an MTX RT202 (200w) on them and the high frequency on the amp just blew so i need a new one. i was wondering whats the biggest amp i could put on the sub with out blowing them. I was thinking that i cant put more then 800w because i have 2 subs. and if anyone has any ideas of what they would put would be great. BTW im getting JL in a couple of months so this amp will only be temporary.

2. Black03

Black03 Full Member

You can go over 800 and it would actually be better for the amp, just keep the gain down a little. If that worries you just go for an 800 watt amp, just make sure it's 800 watts at the correct ohm rating for those subs.

3. clipser-gs-t

clipser-gs-t Full Member

the roadthunder 10's are 200 rms, that amp should have been fine. I'd make sure your subs are wired correctly before hooking up another amp.

4. Attack Eagle

Attack Eagle Full Member

but with two subs he would need a 400 w rms amp.

5. Jeffc879

Jeffc879 Full Member

hey check out total mobile audio 320.2 .09%thd and 320 rms

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

First off, lets make sure the Gain is NEVER turned all the way up. unless you have some really old source unit that still puts on in the mV range.

Amps have not caught up with todays high line voltage source Units, if you look at the tech specs some amps call for 100mV to 4 V, some as low as 2V and there are alot of 8V source units out their

if your not matching your line levels you can cause some serious problems.

as far as what amp to power the subs, any amp with 2ohm stablity and 400w rms should do fine. MTX makes, or did, a small mono amp that would work perfectly