W7 or W6v2

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by illcrx, May 2, 2006.

1. illcrx

illcrx New Member

Maybe you can help me, I'm putting together a system, I dont really care about money, so cost isnt a great concern to an extent obviously.

I'm getting a Pair or Morel Elate either 6 or 9,
    10w7
    500/1
    300/2
    DQX
    Eclipse head unit 8v pre out

I was told by a friend that worked for MTX and a few shops that he doesn like the w7 and would prefer the w6v2 due to sq and space, I really dont care about space either, but sq I am. What do you think it sounds like youve heard the 2 and I was curious, I cant find someone whos heard them in comprable systems. I have an o4 civic si which is a hatchback, he also said the w7 would be boomy, which makes sense.

I checked on the site and the mechanical QTS of both woofers are about the same, but neither are near .707 they are at around .5ish. I understand that people want boomy woofers, but do you think I can make up that kind of a QTS spread with a smaller encloure? maybe more power to help push it? any thoughts would help. I'm sure you know but .707 is a QTS that is indicitive of a flat response, lower QTS is a bump in output at a lower freq. Anyway whats your thoughts?

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I moved your post to its own thread, the one your replied to was from 2002, and 2 of the main posters have vanished off the face of the earth, Honestly, I dont know where they went, I wish I did....

Anyway to your questions, sure you can make up for the numbers in the box design, the question is, do you want to?

Why are you set on the W7 or the W6v2? Why JL?

3. sinistercory

sinistercory Full Member

Jl is one of the best subwoofer manufacturers today. The W7 and W6 are both extremely high quality woofers. Boomy? I don't think it is possible. Unless the enclosure is made to be. the W7 does it's best output below 35hz. And wants a large ported. the W6 likes both types of enclosures but will be unbelievably quick and transient in a sealed. Since you have a hatchback you don't really need to worry about output because it will always be there. Go with the W6 and save yourself some money. Or, get the W7 and deafen yourself in quality.
    I say this without bias too. I am a dealer for alot of brands but not JL. Not because I wouldn't like to be, but becasue my line up consists of equally good drivers that didn't require a $13,000 buy in:rolleyes: