Voltagequestion

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Im going to try and ask this without sounding too retarded. I thought I asked this before but I could be wrong and I cant find that thread anyways.

I think Im going to settle down with an p860mp. The HU has 6.5V RCA outputs and I was wondering whether i should have any concern about it. I saw people asking whether it is good to have a deck that puts out 6v wired to an amp that put out 4v. I may just sounded retarded b/c I have no idea what Im talking about. Basically, I want to know if I should go for the Premier if it is the same price as a reg Pioneer

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

They both have the same output, they just measure them differantly ;) . That is just 1 way to sell the Premier name.

From a pusirts standpoint, you would not want 6.5 volt preouts to an amp with an input sensativity of 4 volts. But let's be real. Most commonly when gains are set by ear, we see a clip ratio of 2:1 or greater. The reason being the nominal audible clipping is not very audible in a rattleing car with road noise and all the other noises we so detest B) . Also, in order to overcome these outside noises we want to crank it a bit more.

My gains were set to 2:1 on +3 of the sub out on the HU. I have since taken them down some, but that was just my preferance.

Blah, blah, blah... "Long story short you old fart" :rolleyes: ... Ok...

2:1 gaintatching leaves you at 3 volts on your input sensativity (gains). Sooo, I see no problem.

3. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

And to be honest, I doubt it actually puts out 6.5 volts rms anyway.

4. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

The only concern I have is that because I am buying it online, I will not be covered under any warranty with the Premier. However, if I purchase the Pioneer I will be covered for a year under the store's warranty. Im thinking Ikesound is the way to go.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

And to be honest, I doubt it actually puts out 6.5 volts rms anyway. [/b][/quote]
    Chad may beg to differ. His biggest complaint is he can't get his turned up beyond 22 (out of 45) without stressing his comps. His gains are all the way down... here, I will copy his review and italicize the preout statement...

I think this speaks volumes...

6. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

I stand corrected. I just thought that 6.5 volts seemed like a bit much.

7. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Are there any other differences b/w the Premier and Pioneer units besides the RCA's? That person mentioned something but I wasnt too sure what he was talking about.

8. Fused

Fused Full Member

That review builds my confidence even more. According to the UPS tracking, my 860 will arrive tomorrow. I'm wanting to take an early flight home just to be there when it is.

I'm in Phoenix right now on some business and stopped in a Best Buy and played with the 8600 for a few minutes. It was easy to pickup on and I had no trouble getting around looking through all the features.

Civic I'm pretty sure your gonna be extremely happy with your choice. I know I am. :yes:

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

It does..

Personally, I don't care what the RCA voltage is, as long as it's over 2v...
    That puts it comfortably in the range of any amp. ;)

I'd personally also go with the Pioneer, over the Premier, if that meant warranty vs. no warranty...
    I even find the Pioneer units more cosmetically attractive than the Premier units usually... more of them sprayed with silver faux-finish, which isn't my thing (nothing else on my dash is silver!). ;)

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

anyone notice how the picture resolution seems to be a lot more crisp on the 9600mp?

11. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Ah, picture...
    Does it play animated GIF's?

One of my pet peeves is when they go out of their way to put goofy animated GIF's, or worse, just dancing lights that don't show anything.. and reduce your display of the important stuff - track number, volume setting, time, station, etc...

I haven't played with the 9600 yet... is it like that, or no?