Vifa Pl 7 In Vs Koda 6.5 In

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Nov 30, 2003.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Here is the set of pics.

Well, I got the Vifa PL7 inch set in my possesion right now (sorry Cort, but I blew 1 ;) ). Just kidding of course. I wanted to take some comparison pics of the PLs and the Kodas. I was quite surprised in fact.

Bear in mind, that the Vifa is a true 7 inch mid with a cast basket, and the Koda is a true 6.5 incher with a stamped basket.

The Koda motor is about 1/4 inch bigger in diameter (the Koda is 4 5/8 of an inch around), but the Vifa Motor is 1/8 Inch deeper. The mounting depth differances between the 2 is about 1/16 of an inch deeper for the Vifa. The Vifa's motor being silver and the Koda's being black made it appear considerably larger. I am quite sure the basket of the Vifa made it look bigger as well.

Don't be fooled by the surrounds of the drivers. Remember, the Vifa uses a standard surround, while the Koda uses an inverted roll surround. The surrounds also make the Vifa look WAY larger (it is amazing how much bigger the vifa appears untill they are side by side).

I also included a shot of the rear of the cones. Oddly, the Vifa looks as if it uses a dual cone. My assumption for this reason is twofold. I feel they needed to bring our Fs into the midbass territory and maybe were suffering cone breakup, hence the need for a more ridgid cone. The mid still breaks up pretty nasty at 2K, so it is definately a midwoofer, not a midrange designed driver.

2. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Awesome pics. Now I can't wait to hear a comparison on thier sonic performance. B)

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

We did that a while ago Steven. The Vifas are strong down low, but really break up early. The Kodas were seeing more power, but their output was considerably greater. Moreso I think then the differance in power. The Kodas seem considerably more accurate down low, and like going low more then the PLs. The PLs will dive deep stronger then the Kodas, but they really don't sound as crisp down low. Where the Kodas are beginning to break up on the top side the PLs have long since shit out. Overall, I would take the Kodas even with the considerable price differance.

With all that said, I think Cort is using them well. Down to ~63ish and up to 300Hz in a 3 way set (comparatively I run mine daily at 50Hz and have run it full range for a while as well). They really add alot to the front stage fullness and do very nicely with the 10W7 as a compliment. I think Cort really spent some time listening to the set, found their weaknesses and strengths, and put them to work in a 3 way set VERY admirably.

In a system like Corts, they are definately nice. For $18 apiece, they are VERY nice. I can't think of a stronger mid for such a great price, sincerely. But comparing them to a mid 4X their cost is unfair. Especially when you consider what a value the Koda mid is.

4. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

I'll agree that as an overall woofer, the Koda will give the vifa's a good spanking. They obviosly do better in off axis setups, and they don't crap out at 2 - 2.5khz. BTW seth, the vifa's were crossed at 50hz when you heard them, and i often run them at 40hz and sometimes i even drop the HPF and run them full tilt up to 300hz. They dont mind playing as low as you want them as long as you dont throw the most bass heavy music you have at them. As a dedicated midbass driver, i'd look to them without a doubt. I wont even consider the koda's over them in that respect to be honest.