vibrating/speaker location/box design

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Ghiti, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

vibrating metal plate/rear speaker location/box design

i have a chevy metro, a relatively small car. i have replaced all the speakers and the header. the metal sheet in the back of the car that holds the speakers vibrates with the bass that is produced by those speakers. i have tried to reinforce the metal to stop these vibrations to slight avail.

what i am thinking about doing is putting a metal grate over the current speaker holes and placing the speakers that are back there in a smallish box in the trunk. these are not sub-woofers, they are a 6.5 component set.

i assume this would make the sound from those speakers slightly muffled (not being played directly into the car) but would also increase the bass response because the mounting point would no longer be vibrating with the speaker. i have read that normal speakers (non subs) arn't ment for 'boxes' that they need to be in open air.

i'm asking if my assumptions are correct and what your advice would be to do in this situation. can i build a box? will it screw things up? i dont currently have an amp, i would like to at some point but if it vibrates when i'm putting 22 into a 90 rms speaker....

edit: oh yes, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

They can be placed in boxes. Make the boxes around 1/2 to 3/4 of a cubic foot. The performance will be OK.

Have you tried using Dynomat (or something equivalent) on the mounting area. You would be suprised how much that can help

3. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

i've screwed a piece of wood to it :D still doesn't help, also i have wood to make boxes but sadly not money to buy something like dynomat thou i have looked at them.

should the box(es) be ported? or maybe leave a side off? or sealed? also could i make it one box?

edit: and when i say the metal vibrates from the bass i dont mean that the bass causes the metal to vibrate, i mean the bass causes the speaker to physically move up and down and vibrate the metal.

edit2: the other questions answered would be nice too.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The box can be sealed or ported. Don't leave the side off. Yes you can make just one box. Car speakers are designed to work in a free air install. So a large enclosure will not hurt performance.

Ported?? Interesting!! Try a 3/4-cu ft box with a two inch round port around two inches long. I bet that might sound pretty good.

5. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

thanks for the help. i appreciate it.

6. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

can't afford dynomat? a lot of people can't so don't worry, just go and get some peel n seal from lowe's and that should take care of the vibrations.

7. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

8. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

you know.. i'm not sure that'll stop vibrations better than a board and a buncha screws.... and that doesn't work... so.... plus that wont stop any power lost from physical movement of the mounting points instead of the speaker...

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

the board and the screws are not good insulation so that's why it's not stopping the vibrations. Try the peel n seal, it's cheap and effective. the peal and seal is what guys use if they can't afford dynomat. it's basically the same but it will fail after a few years (so i'm told). it DOES stop rattle and vibrations. that's why it's used.

10. jonnyv713

It works. i got a layer in the trunk of my car and its amazing how much it works

11. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

i have NO money, its not about 'cheep' or not. i wont spend money on this. wood is a great insulator, do you ever see electricity go threw it? nope. if a 2x4 isn't stopping something from moving what makes you think some foam will? i have tried foam fyi, and it didn't do ****. oh and 'works' doesn't = stops.

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Peel n seal is NOT foam, FYI. if im not mistaken its asphalt based or butyl rubber... It's way better then would. Your asking for our opinions and we are giving advice but you seem to insist that it doesn't work without any research on the matter or even trying to give it a shot. If wood works then all car audio guys would be insulating with wood. They don't! They insulate with butyl rubber or asphalt (like peel n seal). Now, if you not willing to spend just $10 to cure your problem then i'm very sorry, we can't help you with your problem then.

check on these links. i think it explains it well. This guy is a friend of Pedro, one of our mods. I've also had the pleasure of meeting him as well. Great guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5E9mjI3y1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jlWp3mxZoo

you can do the same thing with peel n seal that you buy at lowe's.

13. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

they dont use wood because its heavy, or our cars would just be thicker metal. i wasn't asking how to stop the vibrations i was asking about a box. i guess you didn't read any of the posts or you'd know that.

14. jonnyv713

Dude. We all have more experience than you. We are saying that if you put the peel and seal on your deck, and put your speakers in the factory holes, it will solve your problem. This will make everything sound better. If you dont believe us, do what you want and don't ask our opinions. And people dont insulate with wood because wood may insulate electricity but sound and vibrations is another story.

15. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

thats nice, and i appreciate it, but i already knew that. but how about just answering the question i asked instead of giving unsolicited advice. i'm done, so it doesn't matter. no one told me anything new as is usual with BBS's. btw part of the reason i'm building a box instead of making the stock mount points vibrate less is because the wood/fabric cover thing that goes over the metal back there doesn't fit with the speakers. building a box fixes both the problems, not just the vibrating problem. you may have more experience (since i've never bothered to build a box) but you dont know more about my situation or what i'm able to do. the box is free (just gotta chop up some wood lying around) and if it still sounds like **** nothing says i cant move it back and look for other options, such as the hard rubber with glue on it.

experience!=knowledge

16. jonnyv713

You asked for our advice. We gave it. You didnt appreciate it. glad its working for you. Congrats!

17. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

i did ask for advice, but only on my assumptions. (below) which only 1 was answered, i also asked later more details about the box... which also really weren't answered. so the 'advice' i seem to be getting from you is "well the RIGHT way is to use the asphalt/rubber glued to the metal, but if you wanna build a box.... it doesn't matter how big or small it is, or if its ported or not.... so just build a box." that's some great advice..... my 4 yo said the same thing...

18. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

You wanted to build a box because you could not stop the vibrations. They were trying to help you solve your original problem. You can also try automotive undercoating. Spray some on the under side of the metal, it is very thick and like 4 dollars for a can.

19. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

The reason why i didn't bother answering any of your questions is because Ranger had already answered them. I didn't feel the need to go and further on that matter because Ranger who was an installer for a number of years know's what he's talking about. Ranger did give you advice on what kind of box (1/2 to 3/4 cu. ft. per speaker) to build even with measurements of the port (if you wanted to go ported).

Just letting you know that if you want to build a box, you should be using mdf, some wood glue, a lot of screws and some silicone caulk. Now, if you were to add that up and then compare that to my advice regarding the peel n seal you can then see why i was focusing on the vibrating problem instead of making a box, i knew that the peel and seal would come out cheaper.

Again, we're just trying to help you out and there is no need for the attitude/sarcasm.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  20. Ghiti

Ghiti Full Member

"Car speakers are designed to work in a free air install. So a large enclosure will not hurt performance." throws everything off, yes you've given me nice ft² size, but it also then said that a box to big wont hurt anything, so it really doesn't matter how big the box is(other than to small) or if its ported or not (from that advice anyway)
    it may cost more to buy all those things for the box, but as i said i have some MDF laying around, screws out the ass and what wood worker wouldn't have wood glue. i dont see a point for the silicone caulk (the glue should seal everything) and if the size/ported doesn't matter the caulk is overkill (but i have some of that around also)
    the other problem with using the glued rubber mat is that i dont have a place to mount the tweeters in the back with the speakers in the stock holes.

i dont mean to give an attitude (okay i do) but i get very tired of half assed answers that only address a few aspects(dont like repeating myself). i'm not an idiot and tend to do quite a bit of research before even bothering to find a board to post on. this is not limited to just this board and i'm sorry if i've taken some of my annoyance with the more pebkac users out there upon you all.

its a 11 year old car, i dont expect it to last much longer and a box is easy to transfer (easier) to a new car, it gives me a mount point for the tweeters and the external cross overs, fixes the vibrations in the back, allows me to remove my brace and lets me put the board in the back where it goes. the bass(haha silly fish) currently vibrates something in my dash and the front right speaker is... damaged, so its not like i'm going for perfect, easy and with stuff i have is the main goal.

edit: i've attached my plans for the box (i think... i'm having troubles making sense of my own plans ><) will it suffice? or do i need to change my plan of attack.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010