Very rough review of Vifa PL mids

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by flawlesskid, Sep 9, 2003.

1. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

I got them just for shits. Hey, $18, why the heck not? First off, they are built like tanks. Cast aluminum baskets, and they are BIG! Look to be as big as Koda 6 mids, and im sure that cast basket may make it a lil heavier. Seem to be built fairly well. Well, i took out my MB Quart PSD-216 mids and dropped the PL's in, and its in stock door location. I'm using an alpine MRV-f450 biamped so delivering a hair above 50wrms per mid. So im underpowering them a fair amount. They are rated at 100wrms. I started by setting the gains, didn't put much time into that, as i really didn't care. I crossed them down to about 70hz for starters. I did most of my listening with the 2002 Iasca test cd. Didn't listen very long at 70hz, got bored. So, crossed them down to 50hz. Strong, but hell, why not turn the crossover off. I mean, the damn mid is built like a sub, so to hell with it, crossover off. This mid is strong! Midbass has plenty of kick to it, and low extension. I didn't miss my sub at all during the SQ portion of my listening. Decided to turn the sub back on to see how well they blended with the sub. I was very impressed with how they pulled my bass forward. Listening didn't go very far on the first day. On the next day, i got my new HU. Alpine 9813, and immediately i ditched my passive crossovers and went 3-way active from the HU. By doing this, i had much more control over my entire setup, and this made a huge difference when playing with these mids. I was able to try diff crossover points between mid and tweet, and of course the mid and sub. Tried a few different slopes, finally decided to cross sub at 63hz with a 18db/octave slope and let the mids go uncrossed on the low side, and 2500 on the high side (i was advised that they weren't very good above 2200 or so, though i didn't notice that) also with a 18db/octave slope.. I've never been so impressed with any speaker in my car. I set my gains a lil better, and decided to just beat the crap out of these mids, well, as best i could with half their rated rms handling. I went to the end of the iasca cd (spl tracks), turned my sub off, and i let em have it. My first thought was, i thought i turned my sub off..... :unsure: These things pumped out some pretty heavy bass! Im talkin, rear view mirror, door panels, and everything was rattling. To relieve the rattle and get a true feel for the bass output, i had to brace myself between the door panels. These things were putting out clean bass down in the sub frequencies, and they never bottomed out, but did show a lil stress when i really pushed the volume. Now, for my final test, i played the sweep at the end of the cd which it seems started below 20hz. they never bottomed. Took it like a champ.

In a nut shell, these speakers are worth well above even the list price IMO. They hit hard and low well into sub frequencies, and do it without even breaking a sweat.

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I just got mine installed yesterday and haven't had much listening time...but Seth, i'm comin for you and those Kodas :).

3. trifle

trifle Full Member

i want some!!!

i need a new car :eek:

4. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I can handle $18 but a VS Koda midbass comparison would be awesome B)

5. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Courtney and Seth should have that one up in a few days hopefully....

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I heard them before Cort put that POS HU in there :D...

They were nice. They got good and low. They really didn't mind working hard, that much is for sure.

I felt they were a bit boomy. I asked Cort if he had sealed them and he said they were free air. Personally, I think they were nice, but I liked the MBQ mids better. I felt the MBQs were more well rounded, more natural and quicker. The rolloff of the Vifas was rather low for the crossover network in place IMHO. I told Cort, I liked the MBQs better... but of course, I picked on him about the Qs for a few minutes first ;) . I feel in a 3 way set that was well designed, these would be fabulous, but in a 2 way... well, I liked the quartz better.

Compared to the Kodas? I feel the Kodas are more natural. They don't display the coloration or the rolloff of the Vifas, and they go almost as deep. The Kodas get louder by a long shot as well. The Kodas transients are cleaner and more defined as well. I know I am a dealer, but I think all of you here know that I will always state a truthful opinion.

In conclusion, the set was well worth the money. I feel comfortable in saying they are worth $100 for the set. For most people they are more than enough (in fact, knowing my wifes tastes, I assure you she would like the Vifas more than the Kodas). I feel the Quartz were better overall Cort. I say go back to them :blush:

7. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Seth i'll have to stop back by there and see what you think after me setting the gains better and doing some much better setting up. I need to get some baffles in my doors, and some much needed deadening. The jury is still out on them though. I'm not sure how i feel about them compared to the quarts, as i have been very unhappy with my setup overall for the past few months. I was lost after i got rid of my 7894, and i took the quarts out before i got the 9813 (i'll make you eat your words about my "POS HU" CHUMP). In the next couple days im gonna construct some baffles and drop the quarts back in there. You made a few good points in your post. Hopefully soon i'll be able to report back and let you guys know for sure which set i like best.

Also i must add, with the way Seth likes his music, and the way i like mine, im finding it a bit hard to compare the PL's with the koda's. Me and him are far off with how we like our music to be presented.

8. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yea, i agree (might wanna save that one :)). I like the PL's alot, but they do lack a bit in the upper midrange and they can be boomy when they aren't sealed like mine. I'd have to hear the Koda's again to tell which set i really like better though. The first time I heard the Kodas I wasn't too impressed with the upper midrange either...so we'll see next time i'm home :).

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Chris, if you seal them they will display more bommyness (is that a word?). Shrinking the enclosure size creates that overall quality. Sealing them will effectively shrink the enclosure. That was why i asked Cort if they were sealed. I figured the enclosure was too small for the drivers. I might like to look at the specs for the drivers, but I feel a need for porting them. Maybe a kick that is ported to the carpet side... Hmmm.

You heard the Kodas when I first got them... There is a significant differance between them then and now (remember, they were leaking and my tweeters were not aimed...). But they do not have an overpowering midrange that alot of people prefer, so there is no telling...

10. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yea, the PL's don't have overpowering midrange either.

They PL's are said to work best IB. Mine are currently as close to IB as you can get...i've still got some sealing to do around the baffle. Next time i'm home i'll stop by the shop or somethin.