Using Winisd To Calculate Impedence Curve

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by delvryboy, Nov 26, 2003.

1. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

how exactly do i go about doing this....i have never used isd for this...but from what i am reading on the graph..impedence just above tuning is in the area of 25ohms...regardless of the driver or the box design....am i reading this incorrectly?

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Sounds off to me.

What driver, power, and box is it? I will model it and either screenshot it, or let you know what I come up with.

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

no, that sounds perfectly normal actually.

If you model up a sub free-air, that subwoofer will have a large rise in it's impedance corresponding to it's resonant frequency (Fs).

If you model the sub up in a sealed box, that resonant frequency will shift, as it does in an enclosure. You are changing the way the cone can respond to the voice coil, therefore putting more resistance on the voice coil moving, therefore changing it's movement in the magnetic gap in different frequencies, which effects it's electrical current flow at different frequencies.

If you model the sub up in a ported box, you'll see something even more interesting.
    You'll see one impedance peak below the tuning frequency. Then you'll see a big dip (almost all the way down to the Re value even) right at your tuning frequency (actually it's not too far off from Re for bit of a range, right around the tuning frequency, between the resonant peaks), and then above the tuning frequency you'll see an even larger impedance spike.
    The higher you raise your tuning frequency, you'll see the lower frequency, slightly smaller spike shift upwards and taller a tiny bit, but the one to watch is that higher frequency impedance spike, as it grows significantly taller (and also moving slightly up the frequency spectrum) as you move your tuning frequency upwards.

All related to how the enclosure affects cone motion...
    Which therefore affects how the voice coil is actually moving in the magnetic gap...
    Which therefore presents different impedances to the amp at various frequencies in various enclosures. B)

4. delvryboy

delvryboy Full Member

thanks for the offer seth...i was actually not modeling any specific drivers...just pickin some off the list...trying to learn alittle more

from what i gather....especially for spl apps...it seems i want to design the box so those peaks are not at my burp freq....the below tuning spike would not be a problem...it actually seems like a benifit when coupled with a ssf to reduce unloading of the sub