Ups Dropped Off A Rather Lite Package Today..

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by flawlesskid, Oct 6, 2003.

1. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Its the flat 12" K series. Beautiful fauckin woofer man! Build quality looks good, and it was packaged much better than the first K i had. The flat cone couldn't look any sexier, and the basket and motor structure (though the motor is tiny) looks great. Basket all shiny, and tinsels all woven, looks like a damn nice woofer.. Too bad its maiden run is gonna be done after a week of listening to a 10w7. hehe

2. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Ya' can say what you want about ED's performance, but it's pretty hard to deny it's sexy looks. Did you buy this just to play around with it? My 15A is both sexy and has a huge motor. Yes, Seth, that's a pretty face and a nice ass :D

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

what be even funnier is if the EDk won over the w7 :)

4. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Nah, i returned my old K due to its bent frame.. Got this lil buddy free..

Yea mike, that'd be pure comedy. We'll see though. I'm going to install it right now..

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

We got a Brahma 10 coming to take that spot :p

Damn Luv... I thought you understood already, I have never questioned the fact that ED makes good stuff... I have reviewed it very well in every instance. But putting it against the things I see it put against, I just don't get it.

6. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Seth, the performance was in reference to a W7 user moving WAY down the quality line for a K. Heck, even I've stated that if the W7 was priced like the A series, I would be running a W7 (or a Brahma, for that matter ;) )

B)

7. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

So far so good on that sub guys... Its tight and quick, has a smooth response, and seems to want to get loud. I haven't given it a whole lot yet, waiting for it to loosen up a bit, but so far its sounding better than the old K..

I'm gonna have to ask you guys to pray for me here.. Seth has my w7 for a day. :blowup: If ever i needed a good one sent up for me, its now. He's gonna drop the z7000 on it, and hopefully he'll be nice to it..

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I had your 10W7...

Hmmm, should I place my take on it here, or should you?

I must say, in hearing the 2 woofers similarly powered in the same car was a rather eye opening experiance.

I'll leave Cort to field this one, afterwards I will comment...

Oh the drama!!! :p

9. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I just got off the phone with Courtney....

Explain how they were similarly powered? Hooking up one coil of the Brahma doesn't really count IMO.

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Seth were you comparing the 10w7 and the 10" Brahma?

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Why? Please fill me in... While it is not the best methood or achieving similar power levels, it is damn close for government work wouldn't ya say? Besides, the 10W7 was considerably closer to its preferred power than the Brahma.

No, I was using my 12. The 10 is not here yet.

12. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Why? Please fill me in... While it is not the best methood or achieving similar power levels, it is damn close for government work wouldn't ya say? Besides, the 10W7 was considerably closer to its preferred power than the Brahma.

No, I was using my 12. The 10 is not here yet. [/b][/quote]
    Ok, i'll give you the close enough for goverment work claim, but most everyone knows that JL underrates their subs a pretty fair amount. I'll be the first to say that mine is not that loud at all with the ~500w i have on it. I *might* be able to hit 135ish on a mic, but not much higher.

13. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

BTW, which box was your 12 in?

14. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

Ok, so we're talking about a 10 vs. a 12" here. Although I don't know how much of a difference there is in actual surface area since the 10W7 is an oversized 10" sub. Still, the 12" Brahma should have a greater sd.

In addition, the 12" sub will receive more power than the 10" sub. Possibly 1/3-1/2 less power.

Neither sub is remarkably efficient, although the Brahma is certainly the loser in that regards (note the ME review of the sub).

Not really a fair comparison at all...

What size enclosures are both in? Is either or both subs sealed or ported?

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Ok, i'll give you the close enough for goverment work claim, but most everyone knows that JL underrates their subs a pretty fair amount. I'll be the first to say that mine is not that loud at all with the ~500w i have on it. I *might* be able to hit 135ish on a mic, but not much higher. [/b][/quote]
    Oh hell no, it is a loud woofer. I have heard it in Cort's car with 200 and was stunned. It is just the differance between the 2 cars makes you realise what the B12 is capable of.

My B12 is and will stay, ported at the time. But we all know how loud the Brahma was when it was sealed as well. Let's not beat around the bush. When I had the B12 in 2.5 feet with 425 watts the outcome was still the same.

16. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

Hold on there chief. So, the larger diameter sub is also ported while the smaller sub is sealed. That, and less power?

I'd expect a solid 4-5 dB, if not more, difference in output between the two setups.

Edit: couldn't spell chief the first time. :)

17. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

This might be a little belated, but when did this turn into an SPL competition between the two subs?

18. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

I think the biggest thing is that seth realized how really fuggin loud the brahma is. I will say that the 10w7 didn't do well in his car with the given power on music. When he threw in a couple SPL songs, it came alive, but not near what it does in my car (to be expected) or what the brahma does in his car (also to be expected)

after looking at cadence power ratings, it was more unfair than i thought. That amps rated at 50x1 at 4 ohms. Pretty safe to say it was getting a half a kilowatt at most. Now, even with the one coil tied behind its back, the brahma was still getting a kilowatt of power..

But, is this even a comparison though? I just think its more of seth expecting more output from the 10w7 than he heard in his car.. Also seth, i think we could stand to have turned the gains a bit on that amp man. Seems you wanted to baby my lil sub.. Its little, but its no baby.. hehe

Also, chris, you're crazy. Your sub is loud, lets not be modest buddy.. hehe

Finally, i got exactly what i expected with that power, but i didn't think thats what seth was gonna listen for. I really just wanted him to take a listen to the woofer from an SQ standpoint, and completely forget how loud the brahma is in his car.

19. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Oh, definately more than that chad... definately.

Chris, Cort is correct in his statement, I was totally astounded. It really didn't become an SPL comparison at any point... but you do need to note what I say below...

Cort, I would have kept the W7 in the car longer if I could have heard it over my Kodas ;) . It was seriously not enough woofer in my car... The size of the Buick really swallowed what the W7 was trying to do.

Also, you mention the Z7000 rated at 50 watts at 4 ohms... hehehehe, it is a cheater amp. With the benched power it is ~425@4 ohms, 850@2ohms, and 1700@1 ohm. So, your woofer was seeing ~640 and mine~850. Also, the car was not running so they were both actually seeing a bit less. Also, remember I turned down the gains on the amp when I hooked the Brahma up. The gains are set at, and always have been set at 3Db clipped. Also, remember, I turned up the HUs sub out to +3 for the W7 and +1 for the Brahma (or was it 0, I can't recall, but I think we did both).

Basically the power was very close, overall... Close enough to be called similar, but I edited it out of my first post before I put it up, not close enough to be ""the same power" ;).

20. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Well, in any case, i dont expect the 10w7 to be anywhere near the output of the brahma. Thats just me i guess.