Upgrade Time!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DerrikW, Apr 20, 2004.

1. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Ok, here's my current set up.

HU- premier 740

Frontstage- Kappa 6.5" comps.
    Frontstage amp- pioneer gmx922- soon to be replace by jbl 80.4
    Sub-15" L7.
    Sub amp- jbl 1200.1

I have about $450 to spend. Here is what I am considering upgrading.

HU- pioneer 860
    Fronstage- 6.5" GTI comps.
    Sub- 15" XXX, or 15" Brahma
    Sub amp- Probably save up, if I go for this one, was thinking either Jbl bpx 2200 or orion 2500d.
    Frontstage amp- jbl bpx 300.4- 350X2 seems kinda enticing.

Let me know what you guys would do.

2. Krelkor

Krelkor Full Member

sounds good..... but thats stretching 450 pretty far eh?
    lol

3. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

LOL Yeah I suppose that would be stretching it. I meant only one of those though. But I'm sure you already knew that.

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I see the comps as being the best upgrade, from a SQ standpoint. I like the Kappas better than the perfects, but there is room for significant improvement there.

To stretch the dollar, have you considered the Cadence ZXN6K, and a Cadence Q3000. The ZXN6Ks get frikken loud as hell and sound amazing doing it. The Q3000 will power them very well, and will be more reliable, cleaner, and better optioned than the JBL.

Even after shipping that keeps you in the sub $350 range ;)

THAT is streatching your $400 :p

5. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Agreed about Cadence....

TOO bad there are NO Cadence dealers around here.....

I want a Cadence amp for my comps :(

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Agreed about Cadence....

TOO bad there are NO Cadence dealers around here.....

I want a Cadence amp for my comps :( [/b][/quote]
    http://usacaraudio.com/CADENCE.htm

;)

7. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Appreciate it seth...

But if I'm gonna buy Cadence and spend that money I would wanna warranty...

Otherwise I would just buy from ebay....

BTW what would be a good Cadence amp that would put out around 4 x 100 watts @ 4 ohms?

If they even make one :p

You don't know of a Cadence dealer in NC do you?

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Z4000, 4X75@4Ohms

Z4300, 4X75@4Ohms (1 ohm stable)

Figure conservative ratings leave these at~ 85-95 watts per channel. Sweet options on the Z line too.

A4 of course, also 4X75... Figure that to be the same, 85-95 watts solid.

Also, as far as warranty. I never hear about any Amp issues. And at less than 1/2 retail on USACA, I would... oops, will take the chance (Z1500 maybe?).

In NC? We used to have one in town, but no longer. Lemme see what I can find for you...

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

You are in Concord right? Or down that way if I recall correctly... Here:

CAR STEREO WAREHOUSE
    3921 EAST INDEPENDENCE BLVD
    CHARLOTTE, NC 28215
    704-535-7779

10. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Cool, thanks Seth!

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I hope that helps. In all seriousness, I love Cadence products. Outside of their subwoofers, and VA amp line (no experiance with the VAs, but their subs are really just not good) I was totally impressed. From their entry level to top of the line all are awesome, awesome products.

It is a shame they pulled my dealership, but they wanted to eliminate online dealers. I would love to have them on board.

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I definitely second Seth's support for Cadence gear.

I've installed it and used it in several people's vehicles, including my own, and I've always had results that - for a change - actually exceeded my expectations. B)

And that USAcaraudio site..
    I'm not sure what the deal is, but they have some religious organization ties.
    My only guess is that they use that to their advantage, to secure better pricing... I can't think of any other reason why they'd be able to sell at everyone else's dealer cost.

As regards the warranty concerns...
    You are a smart guy, I'm sure you won't need to worry about "user error" type of "oops!"es... and the product quality really has been great.

But even without regard for any of that...
    What's the real gamble?
    You could either buy it for a certain price and have a warranty that you'll likely never need...
    Or literally half that price, and not get a warranty.
    If anything broke - what would you expect it would cost to be repaired?

If you are willing to spend that "full price" to get a warranty... you might consider taking half that money, buying the amps online, and tucking the other half away in a bank account somewhere, gaining interest for you, as your own private insurance policy for the amps. B)

;)

13. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Hey Chris and Seth, do either of you have any experience with the Z9000? It says 300X2 is that at 4 ohm or 2 ohm? How are the crossovers and all that happy stuff? If it's a good amp I think I may just get one of these to power the kappa comps. Then one day I will probably take the plunge and buy maybe 2 sets of of the 6.5" comps Seth mentioned.

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I do, but only in a mono setting, which it is rated at 800X1@4 ohms. It acually delivers a shade under 900.

Figure around 450X2@2 ohms, and 225X2@4Ohms. Thankfully the amp has an input selection range of 8 volts-200Mv . That should easily allow you enough room to back off the gains very nicely to power the Kappas.

Crossovers are very nice, and they are very nicely optioned. When you get your hands on one of these amps you will be blown away by the quality, particularly when you consider how damn cheap they are. These amps are worth their retail price IMHO (after having used so many of them, I stand firmly behind this conviction, and would be comfortable spending retail on them), which is almost 3X the cost of USACarAudio.

As far as 2 sets of the Neos... I think you should try 1 first. These things are LOUD!!!

15. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Sweet, I'm thinking I might be ordering a Z9000 this weekend, unless one of you guys has a better idea and tries to talk me out of it. B)

16. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Good call. If you are not happy with it, drop me a line. I may take it off your hands :p .

17. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Seth, do you know if it is stable at 2 ohms bridged. I know I'm buying this for comps but, if it is, I may bridge it just for shits and giggles and give my L7 a good beating. It needs it. :boxing:

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It's not Derrik.

However, Loyd (bigbassman) ran his daily at 2 ohms mono, and at 1 ohm at comps. I am not sure if he is still running it, but I know he ran it like that for over a year. The only issue I knew of was popping external fuses. Of course, rough figures of the amp running at 1 ohm would put it up at around 2500 watts ;).

I wouldn't reccomend it, but I know it has been done.

19. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Ok, I'm not even gonna try it then. Wouldn't wanna hurt my new baby, especially with no warranty.

20. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Ok another question. How would you compare the SQ of the Z series to say, JL slash series, PPI, Kicker KX, Zapco ref. or comp. Or any of the other well known amps?