Unique Sub Design

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by The_Ancient, Mar 16, 2003.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I have not seen this before

This is not the Divinic fromSound Stream but I wonder if they share this design

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Here is the Pic

Damn hot Link Protection

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Well, that certainly is an impressive cutaway!

But I have to question what it offers...
    The sacrifice being monsterous mounting depth and mass...

The magnet weight is not very substantial looking there, in the scope of flux dissipated through two magnetic gaps...
    It doesn't look like a very long-throw woofer, Xmax is no doubt nothing to write home about...
    And it looks like it has a very high moving mass..
    Do you see how the voice coil is actually drooping back of center, sitting as it is, on a horizontal plane?

It does offer the greatest voice coil stability I have ever seen (no CHANCE of that former rocking! :p )..
    But it doesn't even offer a staggering... voice coil centering relative to the two gaps... (if you are familiar with the JBL GTi, you are aware that one VC is intentionally offset one way, the other voice coil the other... so as it actually operates, when one voice coil is leaving the gap, the other is entering it).. so why even bother with the two gaps?

I don't know, I bet it looks cool, I'd love to have the actual cutaway unit because it would look cool on my desk at home... but I don't really see too much performance advantage.
    Maybe a really low FS because that moving mass looks really big... I don't know.. :D

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I am no Sub Designer, I just thought ti looked Cool :p

I wopnder if the SoundStream is the same design

this is a seaO